Log aircraft tracked for replay

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
rafaelalves

Log aircraft tracked for replay

Post by rafaelalves » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:17 pm

Hi guys,
I am new here, I am not sure if this already exists.
I want to let Virtual Radar on 24/7 recording every plane it tracks.
Whenever I need to know when an aircraft was around, I would be able to play it back and watch the recorded trackings as they were seen live.
I thought that the Database Writer Plugin would do it, but I am not sure.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Rafael.

agw

Re: Log aircraft tracked for replay

Post by agw » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:49 pm

The database writer plugin only records the first and last positions for an aircraft as this is all that's stored in BaseStation.sqb. However, a plugin that records the full track is planned. Just not sure when it'll get done :)

hoganator63

Post by hoganator63 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:00 am

agw wrote:The database writer plugin only records the first and last positions for an aircraft as this is all that's stored in BaseStation.sqb. However, a plugin that records the full track is planned. Just not sure when it'll get done :)
Hello,
I'm new to the forums, but not new to Virtual Radar Server. I have something else that is very pertinent to the discussion here. I am analyzing air traffic over my home town for a school project. I love Virtual Radar Server, but I really want a method of storing the full track. The sooner I can have this capability, the better. I am willing to donate if you can implement it in a timely manner! It would honestly make my project awesome and would be a huge thing for all Virtual Radar Server users. Many of us don't have the time to mess around with PlanePlotter (which takes quite a bit of work to set up right).

Thank you for your hard work on VRS!
-Luke

P.S. I am sorry if my post is viewed as bumping. This is my first post on any forum.

agw

Post by agw » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:17 am

I'm afraid that it's probably not going to be done in time for your project - it's not a simple plugin to write :) Actually, it's not that hard to store the full track, the aircraft list already has the full position and altitude track built up with timestamps so it's almost just a case of dumping that to the database when the aircraft goes out of range (except the full track only has changes in bearing / altitude recorded, but whatever). However, efficiently storing full tracks for tens of thousands of aircraft per day in a SQLite database, and doing it in such a way that you can retrieve the position of any aircraft at a given point in time (for playback of all aircraft) and also retrieve the full track for any given aircraft (for playback of or reporting on a single aircraft), and do both quickly without eating gigabytes of disk or memory, is not a trivial problem. It will get done but given that it's going to take a while to write, and there are more urgent things that need doing, it's not top of the list yet.

GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:03 am

a temporary soloution would be to expand on the maximum time tracks are stored. right now being an hour i believe.

emg

Post by emg » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:48 pm

Since the plugin is only likely to be installed by a subset of users who really want that much data, you might want to consider pushing the full tracks into a database designed for more hardcore storage, like MySQL/MariaDB or Postgres; Linux distros usually come with both, and I remember setting up the MySQL server software on Windows wasn't too hard when I did it a few years ago. I have a 40TB Postgres database at work, and it doesn't seem to have much trouble processing that amount of data so long as you add the right indices to the database when creating it.

nolatron

Post by nolatron » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any progress has been made on being able to store a flights full track. I would love to be able to pull up the full track of a flight onto a map rather than just the first and last points, especially when I see tracks like this: :D

agw

Post by agw » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:56 pm

Nope, no progress made at all - it is still on the list though. And nice track! :)

ProHill

Post by ProHill » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:01 am

A quick note on this to let anyone who is interested know that there are ways to get the full track pretty easily today. I got impatient, and worked out a way to dump the tracks to MySQL along with all the other data I was already capturing.

It leverages the AircraftList.json file with the trFmt=f parameter. This is documented here: http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/Doc ... tList.aspx

Basically, I grab this file every couple of minutes and parse the JSON with PHP. For my purposes, I grab the ModeS code, Callsign, the MLAT flag, and the flight track (the key is named "Cot"). All this gets stored into a temporary lookup table.

Separately, I have another process that imports flights from Basestation.sqb after they have disappeared from VRS for ~30 minutes. As part of the MySQL import process, I cross-reference the ModeS code in the lookup table above looking for entries last updated within the past hour or so, and grab the MLAT flag and the track data. This then gets saved with the other flight information from the Basestation db. There is no unique identifier to tie basestation data to the data in the AircraftList.json file, so I use the ModeS code and time box it to be fairly certain I'm matching up the right flight.

This is still experimental - we'll see how it works over time. If anyone wants to take a look: http://flights.hillhome.org/flights. Click on any flight and you should get the details page with the route and track maps.

Andy

rin67630

Post by rin67630 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:35 am

In the current version of virtual radar, one still can display the tracks colored by altitude, so they must be stored somewhere isn't it?
What I currently would love to have, is the possibility to display the tracks as an altitude+speed profile vs time and be able to store the results.
Those could filtered by altitude/speed, since everything flying over 20,000 feet is frequently uninteresting fly-over, that can dramatically reduce the volume of storage.

Thank you for reading me.
Laszlo