Capture receiver's status list to buffer

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
Lector

Capture receiver's status list to buffer

Post by Lector » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi,
I wonder if it could be possible to capture text from receiver's status field of main program window to clipboard and then paste it to the external text editor or whatever.
We'd like then to provide this information on demand to our feeders for their reference on the feed status, numbers of aircrafts tracked and messages sent to our server.
Another thing would be great is to have an export of receiver's statistic data snapshot (at least main parameters like connection duration, throughput, bytes received etc) to text.

Thanks!

agw

Re: Capture receiver's status list to buffer

Post by agw » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:23 am

The upcoming web admin plugin exposes these things as JSON files. However, you can only fetch the JSON files if you have authenticated as an administrator (administrators are coming in the next version of VRS).

The web admin plugin is in its infancy so nothing's set in stone, I could add the concept of trusted users who are trusted enough to have a read-only view of the web admin plugin's display of the connection states etc., but not quite trusted enough to see the configuration and log pages :)

Lector

Post by Lector » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:26 am

agw wrote:I could add the concept of trusted users who are trusted enough to have a read-only view of the web admin plugin's display of the connection states etc., but not quite trusted enough to see the configuration and log pages :)
Now the mentioned plugin released and works fine for me.
But what about a trusted users with read-only priveleges? As I understood, up to now plugin allows only the users who have an admin rights in VRS web-server settings. Are you planning to improve the access for other ordinary users, so they might see at least the list of feeds, its connection status and statistic data?
That will extremely useful to all our contributors at vrs-russia server.

Thank you!

agw

Post by agw » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:34 pm

No, I've gone off the idea of trusted users. However, there's nothing to stop someone writing a plugin that exposes information about the server on a separate web page, i.e. one that isn't a part of the web admin plugin. But the admin plugin is only going to be usable by admin users.

Lector

Post by Lector » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:41 pm

So, does this mean also, that only users with admin rights can edit the database using DB editor plugin?
If I want to edit some data, server asks for user's login and password. And the only administrator's credentials are accepted, never a normal user's.
People want to care of database on our public server, but we can't allow them to do that if they all will come as administrators, because this will obviously cause the server's vulnerability.
Can we limit their permissions at least for that only task mentioned? Can you change the server's behavior just for this particular case?
Or, is this the same story as for the "authorised users"?
Thanks!

agw

Post by agw » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:55 pm

I'll have a think about it. The problem isn't a technical one, it's more one of how to get across to the end user what the effect of their actions will be if they mark a particular user as "trusted".

However, the thing you're talking about now is more of a roles system, where users can be assigned one or more roles like "Is allowed to view connections", "Is allowed to edit database" etc. That might not be too bad.