Plotted Receiver locations

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
GregoryGHarding

Plotted Receiver locations

Post by GregoryGHarding » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:05 am

wouldn't it be nice to see ground station locations plotted on the map with special markers, when clicked on giving details as to number of tracked planes, uptime, errors, messages received, etc?

i think it would :)

agw

Re: Plotted Receiver locations

Post by agw » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:48 am

I think that one might have come up before, or something like it - I'm a little wary about sending the latitude and longitude of the receiver on the aircraft list, it's a bit too close to putting a pin for the user's home onto the map. If I were to do something like that then it'd have to be opt-in rather than being a part of the standard program.

GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:22 am

that seems reasonable, i never once expected it to not be opt-in

Richardsonsimon

Post by Richardsonsimon » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Would still be nice what type of equipment each station is using and their height above sea level.

Pidea

Post by Pidea » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:46 pm

I run http://www.pp-sharers.co.uk which does something similar for PlanePlotter.

It takes a feed from the PlanePlotter server every 15 minutes with info about each sharer (code, location, last active time etc) and plots this on the public map on the home page. Users can register and then claim their share code by entering their exact latitude and longitude. In return their code is monitored for uptime/downtime and their predicted coverage is calculated too.

The combined coverage is shown on the coverage map here: http://www.pp-sharers.co.uk/coverage. It's also possible to search for the approximate location of any ground station and see it's coverage if it has been calculated. As an example, search for some of mine: XE, Xt or ir

For privacy concerns the public maps show the user location to within 5 km whilst only the private map seen by the owner of each ground station shows their exact locations.

With a little bit of work and a feed from the VRS server I could do exactly the same for VRS users too if anyone is interested ?