Virtual Radar+Apache

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
madrigal

Virtual Radar+Apache

Post by madrigal » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:01 pm

Hi guys!
Can you see the difference on the picture? :)
Sorry if it is not so clear but the forum's limitation is 256kb for file upload.
If you can't see what actually I mean - my Virtual Radar is running under Apache+Linux.
You can see the actual picture at http://87.120.4.1/vr/
There are lots of things in the TO DO list, but the basis has been already built.
If anyone have an interest about the implementation please let me know - I'll do my best to explain my approach.
Attachments
vr-apache.jpg
vr-apache.jpg (225.8 KiB) Viewed 7196 times

agw

Re: Virtual Radar+Apache

Post by agw » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Ha! Very nice :D I'm guessing that you compiled it under Mono? The last time I ran the source through the Mono Migration Analyzer it complained about a few things, presumably you had to work around those?

madrigal

Post by madrigal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:54 pm

Concerning Mono and compiling VR under Linux - not at all!!! (my name is not Miguel de Icasa :)))))
From VR I use the main .html file and JavaScripts, needed for normal work.
I have my own programs one of which connects to port 30003 (or 30006 if you have SBS-3) and generate AircraftList.json file. The other one generates the aircraft's pictures on demand. For the moment I have not found an easy way to add some blur to the text and that's why my pictures have a grey rectangles.
And ... that's all for now.
My plans are to implement some sort of database storage, to check compatibility with mobile clients (IPhones, Androids etc.) and may be something else.

stoyanov

Post by stoyanov » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:01 am

Браво, колега, ако имаш желание за MLAT ми пиши. Ако направиш разработката публична в бъдеще също ще съм благодарен. Поздрави!

madrigal

Post by madrigal » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:29 am

stoyanov wrote:Браво, колега, ако имаш желание за MLAT ми пиши. Ако направиш разработката публична в бъдеще също ще съм благодарен. Поздрави!
MLAT is also in my TO-DO list but since I have raw access to only one SBS receiver it is not possible at the moment. Concerning the public access to my code - I think it will be possible but I have to ask my boss for formal permission.
Anyway, since I can't see ability to send P.M.'s to the forum members, you can contact me at: al.tsankov at telesys dot bg

stoyanov

Post by stoyanov » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:46 pm

check your inbox :)

sergsero

Post by sergsero » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:17 am

Действительно, браво! Информируйте нас о дальнейшем развитии вашего проекта, это очень интересно.
madrigal wrote:Concerning Mono and compiling VR under Linux - not at all!!!
Почему же? :)
Простое (as is) портирование VRS в Linux - тоже очень востребованная задача. Сегодня для его работы приходится специально иметь компьютер с Windows. Совершенно не претендуя на открытость кода вашего проекта, было бы просто здорово иметь откомпилированную версию обычного VRS для Ubuntu, например.
(It would be just great to have a compiled version of original VRS for Ubuntu, for example. Today, for its work need to have the dedicated computer with Windows. Or maybe Andrew will release a Linux version? :))

madrigal

Post by madrigal » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:07 pm

sergsero wrote: (It would be just great to have a compiled version of original VRS for Ubuntu, for example. Today, for its work need to have the dedicated computer with Windows. Or maybe Andrew will release a Linux version? :))
If you manage to compile VRS under Linux for it's work you will need a dedicated computer with Linux :)
My goal was to wrote a program which will work 24/7 on a standalone server without GUI, keyboard, mouse, display (as my current situation is).
Till now I managed to accomplish the first step as you can see on my site. The next will be to add database storage but I haven't decided yet it's structure. I'm trying to understand how exactly the original VRS works but C# is not at my taste. OTOH, as long as I can see, in order to run reporter you have to have Kinetic's BaseStation running and filling SQB database with it's own data - this is not possible under any kind of Linux. So, it is necessary to build my own database and middleware for storing and fetching the data.
I can post my code here if someone wants to try it, of course after Andrew's permission.

agw

Post by agw » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:23 pm

madrigal wrote:I can post my code here if someone wants to try it, of course after Andrew's permission.
Feel free, the license for the source is fairly liberal :) You don't need my permission to use it, you just need to credit me if you're using my code in your executable.

agw

Post by agw » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:28 pm

Regarding the question of compiling VRS under Linux: it is possible to compile most of it for Mono but there is a little bit of interop to work around a slow feature in .NET 3.5 and (the last time I looked) there are calls that VRS makes on the .NET framework that aren't fully supported under Mono. Once Windows 8 is released and takes hold I could upgrade VRS to .NET 4 and get rid of the need for the interop, but I'll probably need to wait for Mono to fill in the bits that VRS is relying on before I could successfully - and simply - port VRS to Linux.