Decoding TIS-B DF 18 CA 6

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
agw

Re: Decoding TIS-B DF 18 CA 6

Postby agw » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:27 am

Turns out it was DF18 CA2, fine-format TIS-B. VRS didn't have the code to decode these but I've now added it to the latest preview, along with support for decoding coarse format TIS-B.

However I'm only using TIS-B messages which use real ICAO24s, support for non-ICAO24 aircraft addresses will have to wait for another release.

hikeofyourlife

Postby hikeofyourlife » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm using it now, it is working great and I notice also a new choice in the aircraft list for TIS-B yes/no, that is very helpful. Thanks for the fine work!

Vince

thebaldgeek

Postby thebaldgeek » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:20 pm

Downloaded and installed.

Im still seeing TIS-B traffic.... What settings should we use to filter it out?
(Or am I mistaken in thinking that this preview version should be able to filter them out??).

Thanks.

agw

Postby agw » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:27 pm

I had to go back and remind myself of what your were seeing :)

OK - your friend with the TIS-B aircraft and RadarBox. The release build of VRS does not decode either Fine Format TIS-B nor Coarse Format TIS-B. So what you are seeing is not as simple as VRS doing something weird with TIS-B, it does nothing with TIS-B.

The preview version will decode both Fine Format and Coarse Format TIS-B. There is no switch to turn off decoding of TIS-B in the preview but there is in the source in CodePlex, I've just not built a preview from it yet.

My guess is that you're taking a feed from your friend's RadarBox and that the RadarBox is doing something to put the TIS-B aircraft onto the feed as if they were vanilla Mode-S / ADS-B aircraft. However I can't tell for sure without seeing the feed and seeing what it is that you're seeing. If it's possible to set up a rebroadcast server for me to view then that would be handy, I can PM you the details of a push receiver that you can push the feed to if you're willing to do that. Otherwise - dunno :)

kma371

Postby kma371 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:16 am

any update to this? im not seeing tis-b plots on VRS

Return to “Feature Suggestions”