Compass overlay on map

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
pellonet

Compass overlay on map

Post by pellonet » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi, really new here so bear with me if I have missed something that is already possible:
I would like to see bearings on the plot-rings on my maps, I have shared my receiver on VR under the same username in the VR directory & I am seeing a massive spike on the 'dark side' of my building & it would have helped to see a bearing for this spike to identify a reflecting or re-radiating element that is causing this plus I have a very 'spiky' coverage & it would help immensely if I could use the VR plot to assist in antenna location.

agw

Re: Compass overlay on map

Post by agw » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:45 am

Sorry for the delay in replying! This is similar to the request for marking the plot rings with ranges, which would also be nice. The problem is that the API that Google offer to draw circles on the map, which is what the range rings are using, don't let you put positioned annotations on the circles. All you can do is draw a circle :)

However it would be possible to draw a series of short lines every 1 degrees and longer lines every 5 / 10 degrees in a circle around the receiver, and if my Great Circle maths lines up with Google's Great Circle maths then I should be able to get those lines to intersect one of the range rings. I'll add an item to the list to take a look into whether that would work.

The tricky bit will be knowing how long to draw the lines - they would have to be lines between two coordindates and I don't think Google tell you the number of pixels per mile at any given zoom level. The lines could either be very long or so small that you can barely see them.