Database Backend.

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
MarkA

Database Backend.

Post by MarkA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:53 pm

G'day

Firstly, a big thank you for a very nice piece of work.

I run the VRS engine on a XP virtual machine within linux, as it just wouldn't work smoothly with Mono on Centos/RHEL.

I feed it from Linux based RTL DVB-T dongle, via IP, and that works very very well and far less CPU usage. I track and peak around 90 aircraft. so now just awaiting for some peak periods and when I put the antenna outside, we'll probably be hitting 100 or more at peak times, I have a range of average 150miles each way, so that's a lot of birds going down into the database, which is currently growing at around 5MB/Day.

Do you have any plans for a MySQL connector as I'd prefer to get a meaty/large Db off windows and onto the Centos box, where queries won't eat the CPU?

I don't think converting my current SQL lite will be too diffcult, but just need some connectivity, either directly via TCP, or via ODBC through windows from VRS, Sadly,

Any thoughts?

MarkA, Sussex.

agw

Re: Database Backend.

Post by agw » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:43 am

I'm afraid that I don't have any plans to write a MySQL connector. In principle it wouldn't be too hard to write a plugin to override the default implementation of IBaseStationDatabase and use something other than SQLite, but the problem is that only VRS would know about it. In many / most Windows setups there is usually another program that writes aircraft lookup information (registrations, operators etc.) to the aircraft records in the database, and they're expecting to see a SQLite database following the Kinetic standard.

If / when VRS can write the aircraft lookup information itself without relying on other applications then adding support for full-blown database engines would be a bit more attractive.

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:27 am

Hello

Thank you for your honest reply, and indeed its' a very valid point that "other" applications use the same database.

I will have a google as I have couple of other thoughts, but I look forward to you next general release.

Cheers

73 de MarkA

http://www.g6rza.org.uk:7080/VirtualRadar

SingingDwarf

Post by SingingDwarf » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:12 pm

MarkA that is some coverage you have there!

I am new to this and am using a DVB-T tuner to acquire my signals, near Ipswich. May I ask what equipment you are using and specifically what type of aerial please?

Caboosey

Post by Caboosey » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:54 am

I have seen some shareware programs allow you to sync SQLLite with MySQL.

I'm currently working on a PHP script that that would sync SQLlite and MySQL, but not get very far on trying to get it to be automated and making sure I don't mess up data. Plus i'm a bit rusty.

I think Perl would be a better solution, but I don't know Perl.

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:04 am

Just throwing my 2 cents in here. I am using VRS to aggregate many, many feeds. The ability to interface with mySQL (or another SQL DB) would really help this thing scale.

Also, the ability to run more than one copy of VRS and have them all share the same mySQL database would be handy as well. For example, when a single server just won't handle the client load, or for redundancy.