Suggestion - use OLE/COM output from Planeplotter

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
tarbat

Suggestion - use OLE/COM output from Planeplotter

Postby tarbat » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi, new user here. I'm currently using VRS to display the MLAT'ed aircraft from Planeplotter, using a program I've written to convert the OLE/COM output from Planeplotter into pseudo-ADS/B Type 3 messages. This works great, and allows me to display all aircraft that are on the Planeplotter map, including network and MLAT'ed aircraft, in VRS.

I thought it would be a useful feature for VRS to natively support reading the OLE/COM data from Planeplotter.

agw

Re: Suggestion - use OLE/COM output from Planeplotter

Postby agw » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:19 am

It's a nice idea but I don't have Planeplotter, I'd have nothing to code and test against - and unlike a network feed I can't connect to someone else's instance of Planeplotter over the Internet via the COM interface.

tarbat

Postby tarbat » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:43 am

Okay, thanks for considering the idea. If you ever get access to Planeplotter, let me know, I'd be happy to share the VB code I'm using to read the OLE/COM interface.

In the meantime, I'm satisfied that I can use my PP2TCP program to generate pseudo-MSG3 messages in Basestation type format to interface to VRS. I've finally found a great alternative to the Planeplotter interface that lets me combine MLAT solutions from PP with my RTL-SDR feed.

tarbat

Postby tarbat » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:01 pm

In case anyone is interested - http://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8PduD ... 2hNWjBydEE

Obviously if you have any concerns about the legality of using this, then don't. All it does is convert the standard OLE/COM output from Planeplotter into pseudo-MSG3 Basestation type messages. Here's a screenshot of it feeding into VRS and merging with a RTS-SDR feed so I can view the two feeds on a single map display on my PC.

skyline-stu

Postby skyline-stu » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi, the app dose not seem to connect to my plane plotter, do i need to do something to turn the OLE/COM snizzle on ?

cheers !

T-EGJA1

Postby T-EGJA1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:01 pm

It works perfectly for me - many thanks for sharing it :D
Terry

tarbat

Postby tarbat » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:54 am

skyline-stu wrote:Hi, the app dose not seem to connect to my plane plotter, do i need to do something to turn the OLE/COM snizzle on ?

What error message are you getting in PP2TCP? Any messages appear where "CONNECTED ON PORT 30003" appears in this screenshot.

skyline-stu

Postby skyline-stu » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:44 pm

hi, thanks for reply :)

ok, no messages, no, im possibly being Very silly, do i need the app in any specific place or anything ? or does any specific setting need to be on, in PP... ?

tarbat

Postby tarbat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:51 am

skyline-stu wrote:do i need the app in any specific place or anything ? or does any specific setting need to be on, in PP.

No specific place, no settings in PP.

Just make sure PP is processing, has aircraft visible in the list/map, and it should work. Any problems should show an error message:
- WAITING FOR CONNECTION - whilst waiting for connection to PP and VRS
- PROBLEM WITH PLANEPLOTTER - if it fails to connect to PP
- PROBLEM WITH PORT XXXXX - if it fails to connect to VRS
- ERROR : PLEASE CORRECT AND START AGAIN - If something else fails - eg if you closed PP or VRS

CONNECTED ON PORT XXXXX means everything is connected and running.

skyline-stu

Postby skyline-stu » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:10 pm

sussed ! was connecting from a remote PC, to the app, which is on same pc as pp, but had a firewall issue, school girl error, sorry ! working :)

Return to “Feature Suggestions”