US based weather layer using Custom Content - WORKING

Are you having problems with using or developing a plugin? Let me know here.
RickBoatright

US based weather layer using Custom Content - WORKING

Post by RickBoatright »

I have a working US weather and cloud layer using the Custom Content plugin available at
https://github.com/BoatrightTBC/vrs-overlays

It's derived from, but different than Nitro99's UK overlay. Please try downloading and installing it, and let me know if you have a problem.

Here's a screenshot from this afternoon:

Rick
RickBoatright

Re: US based weather layer using Custom Content - WORKING

Post by RickBoatright »

Thanks. I couldn't have done it without yours.

For anyone else, please note that the Sat cloud layer from NASA is the most-recent available, and so may not (yet) have flown over your part of the world today.

I plan to add the geostationary images that are "mostly full hemisphere" at some point, in my ample spare time.
RickBoatright

Post by RickBoatright »

Updated to include the GOES composit visible and IR north american images AND a new overlay transparency slider control.
bmh

Post by bmh »

I've been using VRS for quite a while and never had the need to register on this forum until today. I did so to give you a HUGE thank you for this plugin. It's working great!

Edit: Having some issues now though.It was working fine for a couple of hours and then the screen turned black. Restarted PC and VRS and I now can't get the clouds back, just the same black screen.

g_r

Post by g_r »

I got it to work. Thanks for your work on this!
g_r

Post by g_r »

Two questions: How do I turn a layer on by default, i.e. if I always want the nexrad overlay? Also, does the overlay update on its own (as the rain moves and the radar image changes), or do I need to refresh the VRS page to get it to update, or?

Thanks again.
bmh

Post by bmh »

I gave up on this for over a month since I never got a reply to my black screen problem. I tried it again and it's still there. Everything works fine for a couple of hours and then just a black screen.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hmmm, two years since the last post here. That doesn't look very good. I know Rick says he doesn't know if his weather overlay would work on VRS3. some other folks have said they got it working. I followed the directions on the github page for installing and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do something to turn it on. Or is it on by default because it has 'enabled' checked in the Custom Content plugin? Once you enable it is it supposed to just pop up on the map? I switched to the default map overlay as Rick said in his directions. Nothing seems to happen. I don't get an error so I'm not sure whats going on. I even restarted VRS. No one has come in here to comment on it so it doesn't appear to be actively supported. I was really looking forward to it because everything else has just worked in VRS. I guess there has to be a goose-egg somewhere. Rick are you still out there? Do you plan to officially support VRS3?
Thanks anyway.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Followup to my post. I played around some more and found that when I tried to display the VRS page in the Silk browser the buttons in the upper right if the screen showed up. I tried the Edge browser and it worked there too. when I selected the NexRad radar lo-and-behold I have the weather map overlayed on the VRS map. Woo-Hoo!. So apparently my default browser Firefox was the problem all along. Sorry Rick your plugin works fine. I tried to post some screen grabs of both browsers but 256kB was just too small. Anyway, it does work. You just have to find a browser that it will work in. Now to try to figure out what in Firefox is stopping the buttons from showing.