Support Globe-S via Rebroadcast?

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
MK2wx

Support Globe-S via Rebroadcast?

Postby MK2wx » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi all,

Just getting into this amazing bit of software for the last couple of days. So, sometimes I'd like a darker display to reduce eyestrain. I used to enjoy RTL1090 with map and also Globe-S which was a similar sort of visual output, but it was a bit squirelly in the mouse handling at times. So I was wondering if anyone could help figure out what I need to tell VRS so as to serve that software (Globe-S) for those times when my eyes need a bit of a break.

I vaguely recall RTL1090 had some sort of table output to a file, which Globe-S would grab and work with, and that's about all I can recall.

I have downloaded Globe-S and have it running under wine and that looks encouraging so far, but I can't set up a feed yet until I work out how.

I can see VRS does reports, and I can see it does rebroadcast, and also that plugins are a possibility.

Could I please borrow the experience of the forum to work out if it can be done, and then of course which is the best route for a good outcome. I'm not great with coding these days, but I have a go when I know roughly how, and that is less and less often these days, sadly (old age is not turning out to be much fun in that respect!).

I do hope someone might help point this idea in the right direction. I'm planning on finding out how to set up a ram disk in memory so as to make this not too badly behaved writing a file too often on my SSD drive. I've seen what happens to SD cards in Raspberry PIs when running a weather station, and I don't fancy another bout of that with a more expensive SSD!

Oh, just to pass on a tip - I found under Linux the menus could be a bit tough to read, I have a theme in use on Debian now called Albatross, and that seems to solve the problem nicely enough. Took a bit of digging to find one that worked, and it's not too bad thankfully!

Cheers,
Ian
Cheers,
Ian

agw

Re: Support Globe-S via Rebroadcast?

Postby agw » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:58 pm

Just to get this straight - you want to run Globe-S and send it a feed from VRS? Presumably you already have VRS decoding a feed from somewhere and you just want to send that feed to Globe-S?

If that's the case then you need to set up a rebroadcast server in VRS... but looking at this page:

http://sonicgoose.com/using-globe-s-rtl-edition-with-rtl1090/

it looks like Globe-S supports UDP rather than TCP. VRS only rebroadcasts over TCP, at least for now.

There is a dark map option in VRS, click the Map button in the top-left and choose Contrast. It's not as dark as Globe-S's map in Sonic Goose's screenshots but it is darker than the default Google theme.

Also, the comments on Sonic Goose's page mention that mode-s mixer can handle the translation of feeds to a format that Globe-S supports. You could set up a rebroadcast server that mode-s mixer takes as input and outputs UDP for Globe-S. Exactly how you'd do that depends on the format of the feed that you want to rebroadcast.

MK2wx

Postby MK2wx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:20 am

Yes, that's about it!

I have a PiAware setup, and take a feed from that with VRS. I would find a vector style output useful to rest the old eyes from time to time. I felt it silly to ask you to add to your to do list, especially since vector is not really VRS's thing (well, so far ;) ). I can't really use RTL1090 on the dongle. So I felt it more likely that feeding Globe-S via rebroadcast would be the way to go to have a good outcome.

I've long forgotten most of how RTL works, I'm 17 days into using PiAware, and less than a week into VRS, so I could use a little help, and felt asking here was the best way to get some assistance!

It seems, probably, that it could be done, just not sure how. Since Globe-S exists and is just about bearable once you get used to it's interface quirks, then there seemed little point in trying to reinvent any wheels! ;)

I could of course be dead wrong about it all, and it may not be something VRS can help with? :o

EDIT: I just remembered, what is that mode-s mixer thingy? I don't think I know about that. :?:
Cheers,
Ian

MK2wx

Postby MK2wx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:48 am

UPDATE:

I did a search, found modesmixer.

Worked out a possible command line with which to fire it and got this.

Code: Select all

./modesdeco2: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./modesdeco2)

That is stern enough to stop me in my tracks because my Linux (MX15) does not have that available to download, assuming that would be the thing I need to do.

It was not to be found in the Linux 64 bit package either.

I looked over the text file which lists command options, and Globe-S does not feature in this download.

At first glance it looks like this is no longer something it can do. :roll:
Cheers,
Ian

MK2wx

Postby MK2wx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Further update:

I burned some time with this today, ModesMixer is not an option right now. I fails at even calling it for the -h option. In short, and to steal a phrase, it's dead Jim!

So, when might VRS be able to use a suitable protocol, or is this where it stops now? :?
Cheers,
Ian

Skibox

Postby Skibox » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 pm

ModeSmixer2 works just fine, but in the post above you seem to have confused it with modeSdeco, which is a different software.

Also, MSM2 is only available pre-compiled, so you need to be running one of the supported systems. I use it on over 50 Rpi systems without any problems. It's most certainly not "dead".

/M

evangelyul

Postby evangelyul » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:34 am

hi

please see my setup, it seems matches your requirements, combines RPi and Windows 7 x64.

A. RPi -> 30005 -> LAN/TCP -> Windows 7 : VRS - Receiver AVR/Beast -> Rebroadcast to ModeSMixer -> localhost / UDP / 31007
in RPi i use dump1090-mutability by Joe Prochazka and Beast output on TCP 30005.

B. ModeSmixer -> globeS -> UDP / 31008
-> kinetik sbs10001 -> UDP / 10001

Download ModesMixer from http://www.xdeco.org latest release May 2017 !
(more on Modesdeco/Modesmixer by its creator Sergsero in forums https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2978.0.html

My .BAT file options are as follows :

Code: Select all

cmd /c modesmixer2.exe --inConnect 127.0.0.1:31007 --globes 31008:table2:pwd --outServer sbs10001:10001 --location lat:long

C. in globes settings use first box 127.0.0.1 310008 and in Table2 box write table2. save and close and it should work immediately.

D. Download the Kinetic software from their site http://www.kinetic.co.uk/basestationdownloads1.php#3
Install and run Basestation.exe -> Settings -> Hardware Settings -> Network -> 127.0.0.1 port 10001
In Data Settings click/enable 'Process TIS-B Messages' and/or 'Process Mode-S Air to Air Replies' Wait few seconds to synchronize..... ;)

Now Regarding

I do hope someone might help point this idea in the right direction. I'm planning on finding out how to set up a ram disk in memory so as to make this not too badly behaved writing a file too often on my SSD drive. I've seen what happens to SD cards in Raspberry PIs when running a weather station, and I don't fancy another bout of that with a more expensive SSD!

I used WinImage and prepared a Raspbian Jessie lite USB stick 8gb.
in the SD boot -> commandline.txt i replaced root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 with /dev/sda2 rebooted and that's all. works faster and preserves the SD.
then, of course, had to resize the 2nd USB partition with fdisk to match max size, and re-installed the software i needed.

that's all ! Good luck and brgds

evangel

MK2wx

Postby MK2wx » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks greatly both.

Oddly while I was away form the forum, I worked it all out and only with modest outside help too. I'd not have done it without though, flightroute.sqb is hard to come by in a 100% non Microsoft house!

Yes, I'd conflated the two bits of software, hardly surprising with hindsight.

Anyway, it's not doing bad so far.

Oh and the 64 bit versions of the software is what had the problem, had an unfillable dependcency. 32 bit get's further but proved flaky under Debian MX15. I have been running it fine on a Raspberry Pi 2 though.

Been interesting, MSM2 fixes some of the shortcomings in VRS, very useful bit of kit that one.
Cheers,
Ian

Return to “VRS on Linux”