Support Globe-S via Rebroadcast?

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
MK2wx

Support Globe-S via Rebroadcast?

Postby MK2wx » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi all,

Just getting into this amazing bit of software for the last couple of days. So, sometimes I'd like a darker display to reduce eyestrain. I used to enjoy RTL1090 with map and also Globe-S which was a similar sort of visual output, but it was a bit squirelly in the mouse handling at times. So I was wondering if anyone could help figure out what I need to tell VRS so as to serve that software (Globe-S) for those times when my eyes need a bit of a break.

I vaguely recall RTL1090 had some sort of table output to a file, which Globe-S would grab and work with, and that's about all I can recall.

I have downloaded Globe-S and have it running under wine and that looks encouraging so far, but I can't set up a feed yet until I work out how.

I can see VRS does reports, and I can see it does rebroadcast, and also that plugins are a possibility.

Could I please borrow the experience of the forum to work out if it can be done, and then of course which is the best route for a good outcome. I'm not great with coding these days, but I have a go when I know roughly how, and that is less and less often these days, sadly (old age is not turning out to be much fun in that respect!).

I do hope someone might help point this idea in the right direction. I'm planning on finding out how to set up a ram disk in memory so as to make this not too badly behaved writing a file too often on my SSD drive. I've seen what happens to SD cards in Raspberry PIs when running a weather station, and I don't fancy another bout of that with a more expensive SSD!

Oh, just to pass on a tip - I found under Linux the menus could be a bit tough to read, I have a theme in use on Debian now called Albatross, and that seems to solve the problem nicely enough. Took a bit of digging to find one that worked, and it's not too bad thankfully!

Cheers,
Ian
Cheers,
Ian

agw

Re: Support Globe-S via Rebroadcast?

Postby agw » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:58 pm

Just to get this straight - you want to run Globe-S and send it a feed from VRS? Presumably you already have VRS decoding a feed from somewhere and you just want to send that feed to Globe-S?

If that's the case then you need to set up a rebroadcast server in VRS... but looking at this page:

http://sonicgoose.com/using-globe-s-rtl-edition-with-rtl1090/

it looks like Globe-S supports UDP rather than TCP. VRS only rebroadcasts over TCP, at least for now.

There is a dark map option in VRS, click the Map button in the top-left and choose Contrast. It's not as dark as Globe-S's map in Sonic Goose's screenshots but it is darker than the default Google theme.

Also, the comments on Sonic Goose's page mention that mode-s mixer can handle the translation of feeds to a format that Globe-S supports. You could set up a rebroadcast server that mode-s mixer takes as input and outputs UDP for Globe-S. Exactly how you'd do that depends on the format of the feed that you want to rebroadcast.

MK2wx

Postby MK2wx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:20 am

Yes, that's about it!

I have a PiAware setup, and take a feed from that with VRS. I would find a vector style output useful to rest the old eyes from time to time. I felt it silly to ask you to add to your to do list, especially since vector is not really VRS's thing (well, so far ;) ). I can't really use RTL1090 on the dongle. So I felt it more likely that feeding Globe-S via rebroadcast would be the way to go to have a good outcome.

I've long forgotten most of how RTL works, I'm 17 days into using PiAware, and less than a week into VRS, so I could use a little help, and felt asking here was the best way to get some assistance!

It seems, probably, that it could be done, just not sure how. Since Globe-S exists and is just about bearable once you get used to it's interface quirks, then there seemed little point in trying to reinvent any wheels! ;)

I could of course be dead wrong about it all, and it may not be something VRS can help with? :o

EDIT: I just remembered, what is that mode-s mixer thingy? I don't think I know about that. :?:
Cheers,
Ian

MK2wx

Postby MK2wx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:48 am

UPDATE:

I did a search, found modesmixer.

Worked out a possible command line with which to fire it and got this.

Code: Select all

./modesdeco2: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./modesdeco2)

That is stern enough to stop me in my tracks because my Linux (MX15) does not have that available to download, assuming that would be the thing I need to do.

It was not to be found in the Linux 64 bit package either.

I looked over the text file which lists command options, and Globe-S does not feature in this download.

At first glance it looks like this is no longer something it can do. :roll:
Cheers,
Ian

MK2wx

Postby MK2wx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Further update:

I burned some time with this today, ModesMixer is not an option right now. I fails at even calling it for the -h option. In short, and to steal a phrase, it's dead Jim!

So, when might VRS be able to use a suitable protocol, or is this where it stops now? :?
Cheers,
Ian

Return to “VRS on Linux”