Aircraft Positions Not Updating

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
douglasjohnson

Aircraft Positions Not Updating

Post by douglasjohnson » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:06 am

I am running VRS in mono on a raspberry pi 3. Until recently, if I opened a browser window on the server, the aircraft positions would be updated continuously, even I left that window for another browser tab. Now, if I go to another tab for more than a few seconds, the aircraft positions stop updating and I need to reload the VRS tab to get updates going again.

I've updated VRS to the current release and tried it with a variety of OS and browsers. Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on OSX and Firefox on Windows 10. All show this behavior. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug

UA4WIY

Re: Aircraft Positions Not Updating

Post by UA4WIY » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:08 am

I have the same situation, only the server under windows, I think that this is due to changes in google API. To resume, it is not necessary to reload the page, just press pause and then resume.

agw

Re: Aircraft Positions Not Updating

Post by agw » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:27 pm

I've not seen this behaviour on the desktop. There are browsers that will pause Javascript that's running in a non-foreground tab but it's usually mobile browsers that do that to save battery.

If there's an error in the JavaScript during the processing of an aircraft list update then it'll stop running until you reload the page (or toggle the Pause / Resume button). I seem to remember someone telling me that the map label plugin I use for Google Maps is throwing an error with the latest version of Maps... this would only affect you if you are using Google Maps (rather than Leaflet) and VRS is running under Mono. You can tell if it's happened, if you press F12 to get the console window up it'll show a JavaScript error.

I'm planning on addressing the marker labels issue fairly soon.