Simple utility to alert on new aircraft

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
nimzok

Simple utility to alert on new aircraft

Post by nimzok » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:37 pm

While playing around with VRS (based on Mono-Linux), I wrote a simple Bash script (called AlertAir) which notifies via email on user-defined aircraft. I thought it might be useful for some people utilising VRS on Linux. I’ve been running AlertAir for over eight weeks while it has proven to do the job. I’m aware there is the far more versatile PlaneAlerter available, but it’s Windows-based ;-). AlertAir is not a plug-and-play utility, thus some basic Linux/Debian experience for the setup is recommended.

AlertAir is available at: https://github.com/spottair-com/AlertAir/

I'd appreciate any comments, especially on bugs or improvements.
Please bear in mind I’m not a professional developer, just an av enthusiast and VRS lover ;-).

qsman

Re: Simple utility to alert on new aircraft

Post by qsman » Mon May 04, 2020 1:52 am

I am interested in trying out your utility.

I am running a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian on an SD card. Originally I wanted to set this up:

https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/d ... lter/26619

but it seemed way over my head, and required an external HD due to the intensity of r/w operations.

Do I need to do the same thing with your project or is it much less resource intensive?

Thanks

nimzok

Post by nimzok » Thu May 21, 2020 8:27 pm

Do I need to do the same thing with your project or is it much less resource intensive?
The AlertAir utility itself is not very resource-intensive. It's executed all five minutes in in order to query the VRS database for matching flights.
You may setup to to run it even less frequently, let's say every 15 minutes. However the downside is that it may happen you'll be alerted after up to 15 minutes since an aircraft was first seen.

pavelkonir

Post by pavelkonir » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:42 am

I programmed the whole application that can warn aircraft according to different rules. The application has a web interface and every minute it is checked whether any aircraft complies with the rules. The application is for multiple users, which defines own rules. Application is for czadsb.cz users.

upload photo