pictures/icons on vrs

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
Bennyb

pictures/icons on vrs

Post by Bennyb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi,

I've installed the latest VRS on Ubuntu 12.04 with an AVR data feed from my Windows7 PC running ADSB# with a RTL/USB dongle.
All works fine except the fact that I cannot get the icons for silhouette / flag and registration to work.

I fond some silhouette and flags, installed them in the appr. directories but nothing works.

Is there a detailed description on how to install the icons to get it to work ?

-ben

agw

Re: pictures/icons on vrs

Post by agw » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:06 pm

If you don't have a database set up then you won't see operator flags or silhouettes. The aircraft don't (directly) transmit their operator or ICAO type code, they're looked up in a database. However it only takes a couple of minutes to use a pre-populated database that you can download.

What I tend to do when I'm testing on a new Linux VM is to set up a folder structure for VRS like this, where "me" is the user folder:

/home/me/VRS
/home/me/VRS/bin
/home/me/VRS/database
/home/me/VRS/silhouettes
/home/me/VRS/operatorFlags

Unpack the VRS gzips into VRS/bin.

If you don't have a database already then go here, download the file, unzip it and move the BaseStation.sqb it contains into VRS/database:
http://www.kinetic-avionics.com/resourc ... oads.php#4

While you're there download "Silhouettes Logos" from this page, unzip it and move the BMP files it contains into VRS/silhouettes:
http://www.kinetic-avionics.com/resourc ... oads.php#1

and finally download one of the "Operator Logos" (I use version 1) from the same address and move the BMP files it contains into VRS/operatorFlags:
http://www.kinetic-avionics.com/resourc ... oads.php#1

I usually add a shell script to the VRS folder called start.sh that just has this in it, saves a bit of typing later:

Code: Select all

mono bin/VirtualRadar.exe
and then chmod start.sh 755 so that I can execute it.

Once you start VRS go to Tools | Options. In the Aircraft Data section enter the following:

4.1 Database filename: /home/me/VRS/database/BaseStation.sqb
4.2 Flags folder: /home/me/VRS/operatorFlags
4.3 Silhouettes folder: /home/me/VRS/silhouettes

After clicking OK you should then see the aircraft appear on the map.

If you downloaded the database and you're using the database writer plugin then click Tools | Plugins, find the database writer plugin in the list (if you have more than one) and click Options. Then remove the tick against "Only update databases that this plugin created", otherwise it won't write new aircraft and flights into the downloaded database.

If you don't see operator flags and silhouettes then check that the .BMP files are in the folders specified - VRS will not look in sub-folders - and that the files have read permission for your user or group. Also make sure that the folders are full paths instead of relative paths - i.e. they start with a forward-slash.

Bennyb

Post by Bennyb » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:05 am

That did the job, tnx for your support !

-ben

dbrb2

Post by dbrb2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:51 am

Hi,

I realise this post is now a bit old, but any pointers would be useful:

I have VRS working on mint 14 fine

I have downloaded the operator flags and silhouettes into the folders :

/home/me/virtualradarserver/operatorFlags
and
/home/me/virtualradarserver/silhouettes

I have updated the VRS config to match this

however, when running, the images are showing only as blank white rectangles. I wondered if it was case sensitivity in linux...but no joy so far.

I can see that VRS doesn't link directly to the image -for instance an operator image is showing its location (in the browser) as:

VirtualRadar/Images/File-400834/OpFlag.png

But I can't seem to find any logs that wouldindicate where this is going wrong...

dbrb2

Post by dbrb2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:02 am

Ah - looks like it was me...

I had clicked the option to "create own database" rather than download the one linked to

I guess this was missing some key information...

Anyway, up and running now at http://bbarker.dtdns.net/adsb/
I build myself a colinear antenna out of 8 lengths of coax - though because my
aerial is blocked to some extent by buildings the range is not that great. Still,
been good fun getting it up and running :-)