Dummies guide to PI install

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
ukpbz

Dummies guide to PI install

Post by ukpbz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi All

Is there a dummys guide to VRS on PI please?

I have dump1090 installed and working, just struggling to get VRS running as the instructions I found keep failing at the mono install, the instructions were from 2013

Any help with more upto date instructions appreciated

Thanks

agw

Re: Dummies guide to PI install

Post by agw » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:06 pm

There used to be a problem with Mono on the Pi, in that it didn't support hardware floating point. However I think that problem's gone away, you should be able to do a sudo apt-get install mono-complete if you're using rasbian to get the full Mono installation.

Once you've got mono running you may want to install the preview version of VRS along with the preview version of the web admin plugin. Mono on the Pi doesn't have a stable WinForms implementation, it crashes when it tries to draw a text box. The web admin plugin will let you configure VRS via a browser. Instructions for that are here:

http://forum.virtualradarserver.co.uk/v ... f=11&t=970

ukpbz

Post by ukpbz » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks

I tried installing preview but I kept getting SQL errors when running mono VairtualRadar.exe(Can't remember what they were but not the ones listed on the VRS for linux page) so I resorted back to the normal version. It kind of works, just won't let me setup plugins.

Also, tried creating the user as mention mono VirtualRadar.exe -nogui -createAdmin:paul -password:password and errors with unrecognised comman line parameter -createAdmin:

Any advice?

Thanks

agw

Post by agw » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:11 am

The -createAdmin switch is only in the preview version.

If you try the preview version again and let me know what SQL errors you're getting then I can take a look at them. I don't recollect changing anything on the database side of things in the preview version.

ukpbz

Post by ukpbz » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:03 am

Ok thanks

Can I simply untar the preview over an already installed version. Or is it better to install in a new directory?

Cheers

ukpbz

Post by ukpbz » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:35 am

For speed I created a new dir and expanded the preview.

Here is what I get

mono VirtualRadar.exe -nogui -create Admin:paul -password:password
Missing method Register in assembly /home/pi/vrs/VirtualRadar.exe, type VirtualRadar.SQLiteWrapper.Implementations

Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'VirtualRadar.SQLiteWrapper, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'VirtualRadar.SQLiteWrapper, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'VirtualRadar.SQLiteWrapper, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'VirtualRadar.SQLiteWrapper, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

Make any sense? Have i forgotten to load something?

Cheers

agw

Post by agw » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:43 am

Ah-ha - yes, when I added the build script for the Windows AnyCPU version of VRS I moved the build folder for the Mono SQLite wrapper library but didn't change the Mono build script to fetch from the new folder. It was missing from the gzip. I didn't notice because when I was testing VRS I just overwrote an existing installation rather than starting with an empty folder.

I've now fixed the script and uploaded a new version of the VirtualRadar gzip, hopefully that should fix the problem.

ukpbz

Post by ukpbz » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:08 am

Thanks

Looking better Cheers