VRS V1.2.1

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
agw

Re: VRS V1.2.1

Post by agw » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:22 pm

It looks as though there's a problem with Mono on the Raspberry Pi and applications that need floating point math support:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=11634

That thread seems to give some hope that a fix will be forthcoming. There's also this posting which looks promising:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 34&t=37174

I can't give the experimental build of Mono a try as I don't have a Raspberry, but I've ordered one up today so hopefully in a couple of weeks I can take a look at it.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks for that info Andrew.

The Pi is a neat little beast! Lots of learning with it, many years since I tinkered with a 'nix variant.

The reason I want to use it ... for security my computer is now accessing the Internet via a VPN with appearances possible throughout the world not that I would ever take advantage of that possibility (The Olympics were great! ;-) ;-) ). The VPN locks out outside access to any of my system so my plan is to use the Pi as a normal port forwarded server for VRS, connected to the ISP, not the VPN.

I also tried running an Xbox Media Server port (the raspbmc version) and the Pi actually runs better than two commercial media devices I've used!

One heads up - power, it is somewhat fussy (just like the SBS's can be). The old iMac keyboard I was using at first sucked enough power that keyboard access was almost impossible. I'm using the same solution for it that I'm using for the SBS-3, a USB powered hub. For the Ethernet connected SBS-3, I use a four port hub with a one amp wall wart and both USB connections plugged into the hub. If I need USB access, I USB connect the hub to the computer. For the Pi, I had an idle ten port hub with a two amp wall wart, the Pi power and one USB are to that hub as well as wireless dongles for keyboard and mouse. That method is working well. Pulling the single power connector (at the hub) removes power to the whole system and saves wear and tear of the Pi connector(s). I can also plug a flash drive into one of the many spare ports, again saving wear and tear on the Pi connectors. That works great for computer to computer file transfers because the flash drive (if FAT32 formatted) auto mounts.

Hopefully this fairly inexpensive but effective power solution can assist others, hubs are relatively inexpensive.

GaryG

Chriso

Post by Chriso » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:22 pm

agw wrote:
That thread seems to give some hope that a fix will be forthcoming. There's also this posting which looks promising:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 34&t=37174
After uploading the package, start but can not set any options

agw

Post by agw » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:53 am

It looks like either the configuration file is corrupt or Mono is having a hard time decoding it.

If you click on Help | About you should have a link to your configuration folder on the screen that gets displayed. In that folder there's a file called Configuration.xml - could you PM or email me a copy of it please?

If it is corrupt then renaming the file to something else and restarting VRS should create a fresh copy. You could also try copying the Configuration.xml file from another installation of VRS.

Chriso

Post by Chriso » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:30 am

Deleting a file "Configuration.xml" does not help.

I sent you my file

agw

Post by agw » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:56 am

I've had a look at the file, it is corrupt - the end of the file has been chopped off. However I would have expected it to stop while the program was loading to tell you that the configuration file couldn't be read rather than waiting until you tried to get into the options screen.

I would try copying a configuration file from another machine where VRS is installed and then seeing if it manages to start up correctly. From the looks of it I think that guy's experimental Mono build might need a little bit more work.

Chriso

Post by Chriso » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:07 pm

agw wrote:I would try copying a configuration file from another machine where VRS is installed and then seeing if it manages to start up correctly.
After copying from my PC:

And when you press "Yes" closes VRS.
And so, over and over again.
Only when I delete the file "Configuration.xml" to run the option with the red cross.

agw

Post by agw » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:47 pm

That's the message you get from VRS when the configuration.xml file is corrupt.

Try copying configuration.xml again but this time don't run VRS, just cat the file. Does it look like a reasonable XML file? The last line of the file should be:

Code: Select all

</Configuration>
If it isn't then you have a problem with your file system. If it looks reasonable but VRS can't load it then there's a problem with that experimental Mono build.

If the file has lots of DOS line endings in it then you could try removing them, although the XML parser in Mono shouldn't really care about things like that.

Chriso

Post by Chriso » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:37 am

I have uploaded to Raspberry Pi Arch Linux + http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 34&t=37174
and VRS works unstable, but it works ;-)
Sometimes I get errors when entering the options but not every time.
When nothing moves in the options, it works all the time.
I recommend to test 8-)

agw

Post by agw » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:12 pm

Sounds hopeful - when my Pi *finally* arrives I'll give it a go :)