Web Admin Plugin not saving receivers

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
mgunther

Web Admin Plugin not saving receivers

Post by mgunther » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:57 pm

Hello,
Not sure if this is a problem with the Web Admin Plugin in general or only on Linux/Mac.
I'm using: Web Admin 2.4.0.30532, Mono 64-bit on a Mac and same version of VRS.

Code: Select all

$ mono VirtualRadar.exe -nogui
works fine and I have admin user created.
When I add or modify a receiver in the Web Admin interface, it looks like it is saving the changes but they don't seem to take hold and are lost on a restart of VRS.

Adding/changing feeds through the normal GUI works OK.

Any ideas what is happening here? Let me know if you need anything else and/or further info.

Thanks!
Marcus

Martin

Re: Web Admin Plugin not saving receivers

Post by Martin » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:41 pm

Marcus,

I don't know if this helps but... The first time I used the WebAdmin plugin and tried to administer the system through a browser, I failed to notice that I must save each section when I made a change. What I was doing was configuring Receivers and then Location and then Merge and then something else and finally hitting Save. Only the last thing I configured got saved. This had me stuck for some time until I figured out what I had got wrong. :?

Martin

mgunther

Post by mgunther » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:50 am

Thanks Martin,

That was exactly my problem. I did not even see the Save button at the very bottom of the page. Maybe this can be made more obvious or put in a more prominent place with the next update?

Regards,
Marcus

agw

Post by agw » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:18 am

You don't need to save whenever you make changes to a section, when you make your changes they're updating a copy of the configuration on the browser and then entire copy is sent back to the server when you click save. The code that sends the configuration has no idea what (if anything) has changed.

However, you do need to click save at some point. I did think about adding a save button to the top of the page so that users are maybe aware that it exists without having to scroll all the way to the bottom... I'll try that in the next preview.

mgunther

Post by mgunther » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:26 am

Yes, the Save button at the top of the page would help. What would be even better is some warning or indication that "You have unsaved changes" ;) :)

agw

Post by agw » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:40 pm

The problem with putting up a warning dialog when you leave the page is that Chrome makes the dialog modal, it blocks all of your other tabs. I'm forever swearing at pages that put that damned dialog up :) When Google fix their dialog box I'll add it.

mgunther

Post by mgunther » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Ah right, fair enough, once the Save button is easily visible I'm happy :)

agw

Post by agw » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:44 pm

I've done the code for it, it'll be in the next preview.