VRS and modesmixer2

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
flieger28

VRS and modesmixer2

Post by flieger28 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:58 am

I have to pi which share data to flightaware. One at home and one in an remote location.
Is it possible to send the feed of the remote pi only to vrs and also have the remote Mlat Fa back data?
Right now I Set up an dyndns and able to feed into Port 30001. This shows The results (not MLAT) on the dump map and in vrs.
But I guess the smarter way would be to feed it direct into VRS.
Are there "special" ports i should use in VRS? All I tried gave me a connection refused and only 30001 seems to work.
I use 2 Raspberry pi with dump-mutability. On the pi at home also VRS is running.
Any tip would be helpful
Regards
Eike

DeWoert

Re: VRS and modesmixer2

Post by DeWoert » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:12 pm

Hello Eike,
I'm using several remote RPi's, all running PiAware 3.10, and modesmixer2 to send me ADS-B and MLAT data to my VRS
On my router at home, i open some ports, and configure the (remote) modesmixer2 to "push" the combined ADS-B and MLAT feed to that port.
The commandline for modesmixer2 looks something like this:

Code: Select all

nohup /home/pi/modesmixer/modesmixer2 --inConnect 127.0.0.1:30005 --inConnect 127.0.0.1:30105 --outServer beast:nnnnn & 
where nnnnn is the port that i open on my router to forward to VRS
In VRS i create a receiver, Beast format, Push receiver on port nnnnn

flieger28

Re: VRS and modesmixer2

Post by flieger28 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:04 pm

My problem was, that when i added the "push" Receiver in VRS, it told me that a connenction with this settings isn't possible. Ignored it and it worked. Guess it is because VRS doesn't actively creates a connection when it is configured as an push server.
Does it make a difference which output format i use? I set it to avr