Raspberry Pi VRS Comments

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
GaryG

Raspberry Pi VRS Comments

Post by GaryG » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:22 pm

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening

Finally, a slice of my Pi is running VRS and using a copy of the BaseStation.sqb file. Currently seeing about 25% CPU use with peaks of perhaps 45%, not too bad. That's with one active link, three targets on the map and a total of nineteen being tracked.

A few requests / suggestions / items of interest...

1 - Andrew - for the web link could you add tolower() to remove case sensitivity - /VirtualRadar works, /virtualradar doesn't. This could be for all versions but more or less necessary for Linux IMHO.

2 - To add the .sqb location, I had to manually add the edit to the config file, it was the only way to avoid crashing.

3 - I also added the OperatorFlags location (manual edited) and bmp files. The Flags column is added but no flags display. Assuming I have no .bmp capability in the Pi

4 - Andrew, a suggestion, you have your "Powered by" spot, how about a spot or two user added text also ;-)

For proof, http://108.172.35.113:8282/VirtualRadar (Dynamic address so it could change) Short visits please, limited upload capacity.

GaryG

Comment 3 - I now see the flags, I don't know why I saw such a delay, I had restarted VRS...

Chriso

Re: Raspberry Pi VRS Comments

Post by Chriso » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:24 pm

On what OS does it work? Rasbian or Arch Linux? Or else?

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:12 pm

Rasbian, I think the latest version which is mentioned as a requirement.

Lots of failed attempts, but all the info or links needed are mentioned in this thread, the VRS V1.2.1 thread or in the Linux tab of the main page.

I didn't log everything I did or tried but it is working fine. Currently seeing 25 planes, most just transponders, seven have route info and only seeing the CPU peaking at 50% with two accessing the server (you and I?).

Perhaps someone more attentive could log what they do to make it a bit easier. Remember, the configuration file will probably need manual edits although I did have a couple early successes with the VRS config editor although when trying to point it to the data files it always crashed.

GaryG

sressob

Post by sressob » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:34 pm

Hi,

has anyone taken note of all actions required to get VRS running on Raspberry Pi. So far my attempts have been unsucessfull to get VRS working on RaspPi.
Very jealous of Gary G though... I have not given up and still trying to get it working... Maybe we can help each other out :D

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:44 pm

First remembered item I used.

Mono - Not the "normal" version! It will not work.

See this forum, the thread VRS V1.2.1 find, Chriso, Friday Mar 22. He has the link to the mono version I used.
Hint - My first install went to the wrong location, prefix the tar command with sudo.

Second remembered item I used.

After you install that mono version, look down that same page to find OtherCrashOverride, Sat Mar 16 for libgdiplus installation info.

I think those were the items I needed to install to get it working.

I installed the program in /home/pi/VirtualRadar
I installed the data in /home/pi/VirtualRadar/Data (the OperatorFlags directory and BaseStation.sqb file)

You do need to startx and then use a LXTerminal session to run the server. cd to the directory where VirtualRadar is installed then the command is mono VirtualRadar.exe
Hint - Closing the shell will close the server as well (great for when you see endless error popups).

I thank those who blazed the trail and left the little cookies that helped get the Virtual Radar Server running for me on this little beast :-)

One more change I did although I don't think it solved problems. I have the 512MB Pi and I allocated 128MB for graphics in one of my many futile attempts to get stability.

Using the program's configuration popup seems to be the easiest way to create problems.

Persevere, it can be done!

Hopefully, someone starting with a virgin installation can record their steps toward success and that this info helps with the steps.

GaryG

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:58 am

One more VRS on a Pi observation...

The "Total Messages" count had been freezing even though I was accessing the server did show traffic. I noticed the freeze at least two times.

Yesterday, I overclocked the Pi to 800MHz. The counter since then has been fine, currently showing a count of 2,007,993. It would have been higher but I tried the Tools->Options... That started a series of popup messages as usual. Eventually, I had to kill the server.

GaryG

sressob

Post by sressob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi Gary,
I was sick for a couple of days but tonight trying to get things working.
I found the mono version you suggested and the libgdiplus software.

You also mentioned something about startx en LXterminal and that is were you lost this Linux noob... Did some reading but could not figure things things out for my RaspPi.

Could you please help me with this hopefully last little bump to get my VirtRadar working.

thanx in advance..

regards
Erik

sressob

Post by sressob » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:33 am

Just some more info:
I am connecting to raspberry using Putty. Found some posts on the internet suggesting to check X11 forwarding settings and display location.
Also checked sshd_config if X11 forwarding was enabled.

when running mono VirtualRadar.exe it gave me an error: System.ArgumentNullException: Could not open display (X-Server required. Check you DISPLAY environment variable)

changed display variable to 0:0 as suggested in another post I found.

When running mono VirtualRadar.exe again, it now gives me no error message.... But nothing else is happening :-(

anyone any suggestions?????

thx

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi sressob,

Before running the radar server, I think your problem was that you need to be running X-Windows first.

Type "startx" in the command shell to start "X".

Also, the shell you start VRS from must be left running otherwise VRS will also shutdown. I'm sure there is a way to launch and detach but I haven't searched for the method yet. I usually start VRS by opening a command shell (LXTerminal on the X screen), cd'ing to the VRS program directory then type the mono... command. I just turn of the monitor once VRS is running successfully.

I do use putty for some editing and file browsing, better screen, keyboard and monitor.

GaryG

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi

Well, I have tried to create a tutorial that MIGHT help you get VirtualRadarServer (VRS) running on a Pi.

I start by assuming you are starting with a fresh SD card and that you will be primarily using the Pi to run the VRS program.

Currently, it should get you to the point where you will be ready to successfully install VRS.

One comment, once installed I have found that at this time there is no way to successfully open the Options panel.

To change options, I used the VRS Help->About panel which shows where the configuration folder is located. It should be in /home/[pi or user you are installing into]/.local/share/VirtualRadar and the file you want is Configuration.xml. I compared that file with a Windows installation to make changes (after shutting down the Pi VRS).

Hopefully in the next few days I will review version 0.5 for accuracy then add more instructions. I hope I haven't added too many unnecessary steps.

GaryG
Install VRS on a Pi.zip
Version 0.5
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 1101 times