Raspberry Pi VRS Comments

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
sressob

Re: Raspberry Pi VRS Comments

Post by sressob » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi gary,

your manual has already proven to be readable for a beginner (me).
I've started from scratch and performed most of the steps you mentioned in your turorial and am now at the point of installing VRS.
Followed the guidelins on the VRS Linux install page and now trying to start VRS.

I read your post about "startx". If I understand correctly:
1. open Putty session to raspi and logon: type "startx" at the command prompt. I can see:
pi@raspberrypi ~/virtualradar $ startx
xauth: file /home/pi/.Xauthority does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.12.4
Release Date: 2012-08-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-2-mx5 armv7l Debian
Current Operating System: Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #371 PREEMPT Thu Feb 7 16:31:35 GMT 2013 armv6l
Kernel command line: dma.dmachans=0x7f35 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=656 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=416 bcm2708.boardrev=0xf bcm2708.serial=0x12d7e54e smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:D7:E5:4E sdhci-bcm2708.emmc_clock_freq=100000000 vc_mem.mem_base=0x1ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x20000000 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
Build Date: 01 March 2013 05:21:52PM
xorg-server 2:1.12.4-5 (Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>)
Current version of pixman: 0.29.1
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Apr 8 22:54:08 2013
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"

2. I now should start with " I usually start VRS by opening a command shell (LXTerminal on the X screen), cd'ing to the VRS program directory then type the mono... command. I just turn of the monitor once VRS is running successfully" This is were I am lost. Should I enter this in the existing putty session or open a new one.... Or maybe something completely different. I have tried opening it in another Putty session but so far no luck. Maybe I am way off course here so hope you can give me some directions.
Maybe my problem is at the error message when starting "startx": "xauth: file /home/pi/.Xauthority does not exist:". Did some reading on the internet but so far this is a little over my head.

thanks in advance.
Regards
Erik

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 am

Hi sressob,

I am pleased to hear the favorable comments about the "tutorial".

I have always run the startx command from a session that's connected directly to the Pi. I am pretty sure X Windows needs to create it's output to a video device that is video connected to the Pi. A Putti launch of startx probably tries to get startx to send it's output to the putty session which, of course, can't handle video and I assume that's why you are seeing the errors.

Can you temporarily hook a monitor and keyboard to the Pi then you should be able to launch startx successfully. Once past that hurdle and you have an X Windows screen's desktop, you could open LXTerminal as the terminal to open VRS. VRS needs the graphical interface in order to run. Once it is running, you don't need a display or keyboard and Pi access could be via putty.

I think you can set the Pi up to run headlessly with all I/O via the Internet but that's beyond my current abilities.

Luckily I have a spare monitor, mouse and keyboard so I just leave them connected to the PI although the monitor is normally turned off.

GaryG

sressob

Post by sressob » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi Gary,

I will try hooking up a monitor and give it another go.
I was trying it without anything attached so maybe that is causing my errors... I'll keep you (and everyone that is reading) posted.

My ultimate goal is to have the pi running with nothing attached next to my router.

But one step at a time :-)

regards
Erik

sressob

Post by sressob » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Eureka :D
With monitor and keyboard attached I finally get what I want to see.

Now just figure out how to get everything working but just finally seeing VRS loading is great.

EDIT: Got the software and website up and running. Edited the config.xml file (on my raspi when opening the options screen, VRS also crashes) so it is looking at my laptop for the datasource. Now my DVB receiver is hooked up to my laptop and from Raspi I connect to the USB dongle on IPaddress and portnumber to get the messages to display aircraft traffic. And it is working :D
<DataSource>Beast</DataSource>
<ConnectionType>TCP</ConnectionType>
<AutoReconnectAtStartup>false</AutoReconnectAtStartup>
<Address>LAPTOPIP</Address>
<Port>47806</Port>

but of course I want some more...When the receiver is connected to my laptop, why use the raspi to host te website. So that brings me to another question.

Gary, how did you attach the USB receiver? Did you directly hook it up to the Raspi. In another post I read something about hooking it up to an powered USB hub because raspi apparently does not supply enough power. Did you install any additional drivers on Raspi to get it working? On windows I installed Zadig driver to get things working

Regards
Erik

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:29 am

Excellent progress.

If you're just using Internet you don't really need a USB cable connected. I am using a USB Hub because it was spare and its power supply can supply enough power for the PI. I did switch from a 4-port hub with a one amp power supply to a ten port hub with a two amp supply to give a larger power cushion. That hub currently has a wireless keyboard dongle, wireless mouse dongle and one USB connection to one of the Pi's USB connectors. I have found that connecting this way (nothing to the Pi power connection) is giving complete stablity and if I plug a flash card into the Hub, it auto-mounts.

I did not install any USB drivers. All my normal I/O is via Internet unless I use a Flash to transfer data in or out of the Pi.

Power is the one thing I found that will cause Pi instability and the Pi had instability problems with one of my keyboards and the one Amp supply.

GaryG

sressob

Post by sressob » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi Gary,

This is what I want to have running on my Raspi and how I have setup the hardware.
My raspi has it own seperate powersupply. It does not have to be powered by a USB cable.
On my raspi i connect a UTP cable and I am using a bluetooth logitech keyboard which also has touchpad functionality (so no mouse required)

For getting the airplane data on my windows machine I use one of these:
http://www.vandijkenelektronica.nl/main ... ts_id=3035
(Sorry Site is in Dutch)
It would be great when I get this RTL DVB cube running. Doing some research now to see if there is a linux driver.

Do you have a similar device to receive the airplane signals or are you using an internet based source? This is what I meant by "did you install any usb drivers to get the hardware running". So I am wondering what you use as a data source and how you configured that.

By the way, yesterday I was able to open the options panel on VRS without VRS crashing. Have not been able to exactly reproduce the situation. I think I succeeded in opening the options panel when I configured the connection by editing the configuration.xml file. As soon as things were running, I was able to open the options panel.

Regards
Erik

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 am

Hi

I see the problem and now it's a problem unrelated to running VRS on a Pi, instead it is definitely a driver problem. That device requires data decoding.

My data comes from a SBS-3 to BaseStation on the main computer then VRS uses Internet access to BaseStation for the massaged data.

You will definitely need a driver for the RTL22832U device. At least you do have a model with the best tuner chip, the R820T is currently the one with the widest tuning range. I am wondering if the Pi will actually have enough horsepower to actually decode the data stream. Have a look at http://sdrsharp.com and look for ADSB#, it is a decoder for your type of device.

GaryG

sressob

Post by sressob » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 am

Hi Gary,

Tried to get the RTL cube working with the adsr# driver. Found a pretty good site which descibes the installation pretty well but so far no luck in getting it working. Adsr software now recognizes the USB device but i cannot see Any frames coming in and than of course no tracked aircraft in VRS. I double checked all settings but so far i have not found anything wrong. Will continue another night :-)

Chriso

Post by Chriso » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:23 pm

Installed as GaryG,
messages come (good)

but no aircraft on the website

Website is open but no aircraft in the list.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:28 pm

EXCELLENT!!!

I do hope you have noted what you have done to get the RTL receiver running. That and a Pi make for a very affordable setup.

Messages coming in, no errors showing is good.

Occasionally, I do see what you are seeing, everything looking ok but only headers and a map with no planes on the browser page. When that happens, if I stop the server and restart it, it usually is ok the second time. When starting the server, wait until after it appears to be fully running before trying to connect from a browser. I think that might affect a successful startup. Remember, mono has a lot of work to do. Watch the CPU usage (bottom right corner) and wait until you see it settles below 100% then try browsing to VRS. Mine steadies at perhaps 30% with peaks at about 50%.

GaryG