Raspberry Pi VRS Comments

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
dave107

Re: Raspberry Pi VRS Comments

Post by dave107 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:25 am

I had trouble when I missed out cd / after the wget part of the mono install so mono was installed under the pi user and did not work.

Having sorted that, VRS would not start as I had dump1090 running on port 8080. So, I moved that to 8081 with --net-http-port 8081. VRS then ran and was serving http but without database related features. However, I can not work out how to get around the config problem. I can not find the config file in the /home/pi/.local/share/VirtualRadar/ folder (as shown on the About screen) or anywhere else.

Any ideas where it might be, please?

I have found that using FTP makes some things easier. I use ProFTP: sudo apt-get install proftpd
It only works in 'standalone' mode for me.

agw

Post by agw » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:14 pm

dave107 wrote: I can not find the config file in the /home/pi/.local/share/VirtualRadar/ folder (as shown on the About screen) or anywhere else.

Any ideas where it might be, please?
I've just dug out the Pi and did a fresh install of everything and I also didn't get a configuration file. I don't know why it's not creating it but you can force its creation by quitting VRS (if it's running) and then:

1) cd ~/.local/share/VirtualRadar/
2) ls -l (to check that you're in the right place :))
3) cat /dev/null > Configuration.xml

The cat of /dev/null will write a 0 byte file called Configuration.xml, you should see it when you do a subsequent ls -l. Once it's there start VRS up. When it tries to read the configuration file it'll report that it's corrupt and ask if you want to write a fresh copy with default settings. Say yes. After that you should have a populated Configuration.xml in the configuration folder.

dave107

Post by dave107 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks for doing that - I was beginning to doubt my sanity more than usual.
I had taken the config file from a working Win version that used the Pi as its data source. I changed the directories and it did work - for a short time. The aircraft were plotted and the company logos displayed but silhouettes were missing. However, it was extremely slow to serve and did not update the plots. As soon as I tried to open options it crashed with "unhandled exception" messages. I will have another go with a blank config file.

I wanted to know if the Pi was decoding as well as the PC. I have a LNA (amplifier) and filter before the R820t so I put an RF splitter in line to feed 2 R820t sticks from the same antenna. One was on the Pi running dump1090 1.07.2305.13 and the other on a 2.4G Win XP box running ADSB Sharp 1.0.11.1. The 2 instances of VRS were on separate XP PCs.

On average, about 10-20% more planes were visible on the VRS with data from ADSB. I swapped the sticks to make sure it was not a difference there.
I then put a 30dB attenuator in line to reduce the number of aircraft seen (from 140ish to 20ish) to check if the Pi was unable to cope with the load. ADSB was still better.
Looking at the plots, the VRS on ADSB was seeing some planes further than the dump1090 one. Settings on ADSB & dump1090 were default.

Statistics showed .02% unusable on Pi vs. 20% on ADSB and Bad parity was 55% on Pi vs .08% on ADSB. They were the most obvious differences.

agw

Post by agw » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:20 pm

I get the crash when you open the options screen as well, I've not looked into it too much as I'm assuming it's a problem with the build of mono for the Pi, or one of the libraries that mono depends upon. When I needed to change the configuration I edited the configuration file manually. There's no reason why the silhouettes wouldn't be served, I suspect you may have it pointing at the wrong folder? I also noticed the poor performance - I think others had a better time of it once they'd overclocked the Pi, but I've not tried that. It was interesting to see VRS running, just about, on the Pi but I don't think it's the best platform for it. Maybe if they get mono sorted out for it things might improve.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:16 pm

Options crash... I can live with manual edits
I Overclock my Pi (only to 800MHz) and once running find network access is reasonable (currently, http://108.172.34.243:8282/VirtualRadar).

GaryG

dave107

Post by dave107 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:38 pm

GaryG wrote:Options crash... I can live with manual edits
I Overclock my Pi (only to 800MHz) and once running find network access is reasonable (currently, http://108.172.34.243:8282/VirtualRadar).
Likewise, if only I could get the edits right! I finally did get it going, I think it was port conflicts in the end.
At 4am PDT there was not much traffic shown around YVR. I'll look later.

Although I am not using UPnP, I had to move that to an unused port. A further problem was the lack of the InstallerConfiguration.xml file. I added that, with my chosen port, and that fixed the final crash. In the end I had to copy all of the .local/share/VirtualRadar stuff from the PC version (with mods). I still can not see silhouettes but have lost the will to continue for now.

Speed loading is now okish. Once I connected the good antenna, the CPU load went from ~50% to ~90% (~40% mono, ~40% dump1090, ~10% lxtask). The Pi + dump1090 is showing ~105 tracked and the PC version, ~150 tracked (on web clients). Connecting a PC version of VRS to the Pi as the data source gives a similar number tracked to the instance of VRS that is running on the Pi so it looks like the difference is down to ADSB# vs. dump1090.

Almost in conclusion, I think that setting up a system on a PC to connect to the data source to be used then transferring ~\Application Data\VirtualRadar\* to ~/.local/share/VirtualRadar/* with appropriate changes may work for others.

I notice that the Pi instance does not display clients in the Rebroadcast server status panel where the PC one does with the same settings.

dave107

Post by dave107 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:19 pm

agw wrote:It was interesting to see VRS running, just about, on the Pi but I don't think it's the best platform for it. Maybe if they get mono sorted out for it things might improve.
I concur. After a couple of reboots it no longer populates the table or displays on the map However, the Rebroadcast server panel now shows connections!

I had the Pi sitting around unused and I have learned something. However, VRS works very well on XP so that's where it's staying. It would be nice if it ran as a service but I'll save that.

Many thanks.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:52 am

Hi

Andrew, an observation that might bring VRS closer to actuality on a Pi. As you know, we can't use the options without crashing. I was able to change options today! It may be a permissions problem we are having. In an attempt to try something else, I started VRS as SU (sudo mono VirtualRadar.exe) and the options WORK! I was able to change quite a few parameters without crashing. It could have been due to VRS creating a new config file but the various parts of the options all showed up those I changed all appeared to stick.

I had tried SU in an ineffective attempt (so far) to get VRS to update the sqb database so that my Pi and SBS-3 could become a standalone system without the need for BaseStation to be running on a second computer. The Pi did successfully access and display the SBS-3 data but of course, the database wasn't being updated.

GaryG

loplo

Post by loplo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:51 am

Hey guys, whatever I do, I receive the following error message:
VRS will not serve content that has been tampered with. Install the custom content plugin if you want to alter the site's files.

agw

Post by agw » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:51 pm

It means you've changed the files under the Web folder. When the program is compiled it checksums the files that comprise the site; when the server is asked for a file it compares its checksum against the checksum from compile-time and it won't serve it if they're different.

The files will have Windows CR/LF line endings. If you used a text editor to view a file and inadvertently changed it to Linux LF line endings then that would affect the checksum, even if you didn't change any text. Similarly if you FTPd the files from another machine and they were downloaded in ASCII mode then the line endings may have been changed - they need to be FTPd in binary mode.

If you copy the files back from the installation .gz file then the message should go away.