Polar Plot - I'm confused

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
MK2wx

Polar Plot - I'm confused

Post by MK2wx » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Hello Folks,

I just reset the plot as I had a plane outside the plot and the plot did not subsequently extend to the position shown.

While watching the new plot growing, I realised how often this was happening.

So, if a plane has data which is good enough to put up a plane symbol on the map, then why is this not enough for the polar plot to work with? :?

What are the rules of the polar plot in this respect? :?
Cheers,
Ian

evangelyul

Re: Polar Plot - I'm confused

Post by evangelyul » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:14 am

yeah, happens to me too, probably has something to do for MLAT aircraft.

i have a pic but unable to post it.

MK2wx

Post by MK2wx » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:40 pm

Mind you, it's streets ahead of the one in PiAware Skyview! ;)
Cheers,
Ian

evangelyul

Post by evangelyul » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:30 am

i verified same with modesmixer
seems max polar plot range is limited to 360nm/650km or so for both vrs and modesdeco/modesmixer. piaware has a vague 'more than 250nm'.
i live in Montreal but due to many mlat receivers around Toronto, I often get mlat aircaft - specially RJs/ERJs - over 400nm from my position.

MK2wx

Post by MK2wx » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:48 pm

There is an option switch someplace, I've seen it a few times, it allows one to set it to ignore range above a certain amount, however whether it actually works or not I can not say. I've told it not to mess with anything and to trust what it is told by the radio and it's handlers. Whether it ignores that or not is unknown. I watched in horror as it cost me a 300 mile plus contact a few days ago, I'm terribly underwhelmed by that outcome as it happens. I wonder what else it might be failing to be reliable about? :shock:
Cheers,
Ian

MK2wx

Post by MK2wx » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 am

It's now lost at least two more that I know of. More than 300 NM. I set the RX max to 999 Kilometres. This reset my range map, without any warning it would do that!

It's leaking A/C plots like a sieve, failing to plot in significant numbers. In the latest example, I've just watched it fail to plot for a plane it tracked for about 33:34 minutes, last seen 339.85NM range, signal from about 70 to 150. I no longer use a merged feed, so there is no MLAT involved. I don't doubt it's been failing to do it since I installed it, but until now I had not noticed it. It is not something you would expect to have to keep watching out for.

Rather disappointing.
Cheers,
Ian