DHCP address changes settings

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
geffers

DHCP address changes settings

Post by geffers » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 am

Folks,

Fairly new to VRS, what I've found is if the network address changes then the preferred settings all revert back to default and users have to go through all the preferences again. Is there a way round this?

Geffers

geffers

Re: DHCP address changes settings

Post by geffers » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:25 pm

OK folks, think I am getting my head round it.

Seems web site initial settings explains it but appears the default needs to be set on 127.0.0.1 rather than the computer's actual IP address. Almost there.

Geffers

WhirlPool

Post by WhirlPool » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:49 am

Try using Dynamic DNS service.
I'm using this one:
https://freedns.afraid.org/

geffers

Post by geffers » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:38 am

WhirlPool wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:49 am
Try using Dynamic DNS service.
I'm using this one:
https://freedns.afraid.org/
I'm talking about the local network address. Seems if my router gives a different local IP to my VRS machine then all the VRS web page settings return to default.

But as mentioned in previous post it seems it has to be set up as 127.0.0.1 exported to settings and saved.

Geffers

agw

Post by agw » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:59 pm

Settings are stored in each browser's local storage, they are not sent back to the server and saved centrally. As you say, you need to set up the initial settings if you want to specify settings for new browsers.

The IP address of the browser that you export settings from does not matter. It also doesn't matter if it's a desktop, laptop or mobile device, as long as you can copy the text from the export field in the settings page to the Initial Settings field in the server options. The server offers up links to 127.0.0.1 because it is guaranteed to work.