Issue w/ Mono on OSX

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
jfm

Issue w/ Mono on OSX

Post by jfm » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:19 am

When I shut down VRS on Mono 3.2.1/OSX 10.8.4, I'm getting the following error. The VRS screen says "Closing log database" at this time. I can see two connection database files: ConnectionLog.sqb and ConnectionLog.sqb-journal.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Code: Select all

[2013-08-19 03:15:25.113 UTC] [t1] An unhandled exception was caught: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Full message:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownMenu.CalculateConnectedArea () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownMenu.OnPaintBackground (System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

agw

Re: Issue w/ Mono on OSX

Post by agw » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:40 pm

The exception is coming from the Mono implementation of the toolstrip control. The toolstrip control is on the bottom of the main window, by the sounds of it this has been closed by the time it appears so I'm guessing something is trying to paint it after it's gone. The toolstrip only has a couple of buttons on it, from what I can remember it's not touched by the program unless it's notifying you that your VRS is out of date or a plugin couldn't load.

The shutdown of the log database and all of the rest of it is happening on a background thread, that should still be going on while the user interface is showing you the exception message.

So in short, I suspect it's benign. I'll have a go and see if I can reproduce it. Does it always happen? What version of X11 are you using?

jfm

Post by jfm » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:13 am

I haven't tried running it too many times, but it does seem to happen every time I shut down VRS.

Running XQuartz 2.7.4.

jfm

Post by jfm » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:10 pm

agw wrote:The shutdown of the log database and all of the rest of it is happening on a background thread, that should still be going on while the user interface is showing you the exception message.

So in short, I suspect it's benign.
So do you think I can ignore the error? All the databases should still be closed properly? I'm just a little concerned because the ConnectionLog.sqb-journal file seems to stick around.

agw

Post by agw » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:57 pm

I've just reproduced it here - at first I was having trouble getting it to fail but it turns out, at least on my machine, that it always fails if I use the menus to quit the program. If I use the close button on the window then it closes without crashing.

On using the File | Exit menu option lsof reports that the SQB files are held open while the error message window is up, and after it's been closed - so it doesn't look like it's benign, the database files are being held open.

If you close the application with the window's close button rather than the menu then do you still get the exception?

jfm

Post by jfm » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:55 pm

agw wrote:If you close the application with the window's close button rather than the menu then do you still get the exception?
No, seems to close properly.

Andersan143

Post by Andersan143 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:28 am

Hello jfm!

First of all, just want to thank you for your great and brilliant work on VRS!

I tried VRS with mono on Ubuntu 12.10 and Lubuntu 13.04 VRS doesn't work and I always got something like this: