installed on Ubuntu 12.04 but cannot set up

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
ianhind

installed on Ubuntu 12.04 but cannot set up

Post by ianhind » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:14 am

I've successfully set up the previous version under Ubuntu but can't get this one to work. I've also tried new version on Win7 and that worked fine.

Under Tools/Options/Data Sources/Receivers, there is no existing default receiver to edit (unlike Windows). So I click on New and enter information but this is not saved.

Same situation for Receiver Locations - no default location available to be edited.

I've checked the file permissions and they are all set as default user. Location of VR folder is in Home folder - nothing weird.

No idea what I'm doing wrong particularly as I see previous comments were by someone who has succeeded on Ubu 1204!

And just checked with Debian 7.2 and same problem.

Ian

agw

Re: installed on Ubuntu 12.04 but cannot set up

Post by agw » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:21 pm

I've just given it a go and I can see what you mean :)

The problem is that the Mono version isn't stopping you from clicking OK when there are errors on the form. After you create the new receiver you'll see you have a bunch of errors at the bottom of the dialog - they are all complaining that you haven't specified the default web site receiver, the closest aircraft receiver and the FSX receiver. If you click on the Receivers entry and set all three entries to the receiver you've entered then the error messages at the bottom of the screen go away and your entries will be saved when you click OK.

ianhind

Post by ianhind » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:42 pm

That fixed it. [I don't recall setting those three receivers for Win7, but the info is filled in there.]

I did see the red messages but didn't realise what they meant :?

So working with a feed from a Beast receiver.

But not connecting to an SBS-1e via Basestation.

When I try to add my SBS-1e to VRS, it locks up Basestation. The clock on Basestation stops and VRS keeps trying to connect. After switching "enabled" to "No" for the SBS-1 on VRS, Basestation comes back to life after about 30 seconds. Tried it with both SBS raw feed on port 3006 and Basestation feed on port 30003 - same result. Initial testing of the connection in VRS succeeds for both, but no data ever comes through.

Meanwhile the Beast just keeps sending data to VRS.

On WIn7, the Beast and SBS-1e both successfully send data at the same time (SBS-1e either as SBS raw or Basestation format). So something subtle about the Linux version.

Ian

agw

Post by agw » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:48 pm

When I test the Mono VRS here I'm running on Ubuntu 12.04, and one of the feeds that I connect to is a BaseStation port 30006 pass-through from an SBS-3, and I've never had that problem :)

If you open a terminal window on the Ubuntu machine and telnet to port 30003 on the BaseStation machine do you get the same effect or does it just stream the data?

ianhind

Post by ianhind » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:41 pm

Telnetting from the VRS machine into Port 30003 gives the usual "MSG......" format. And even Port 3006 gives the expected non-ASCII info. Both without causing BaseStation to stop.

Tried VRS again and BS stops while VRS is trying to connect and restarts once VRS is stopped.

I need to investigate further with other receivers.

agw

Post by agw » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:08 am

When I test VRS under Mono I do so on an Ubuntu 12.04 machine (32 bit), so there's no intrinsic problem with that combination. The only difference from the program's point of view between the Linux and Windows version (aside from the networking being provided by Mono instead of .NET) is that under Windows it sets a heartbeat timer on the connection whereas on Linux it doesn't. The code is otherwise exactly the same - the same VirtualRadar.Library.dll runs unchanged on both .NET and Mono.

However, .NET and Mono are obviously implementing the framework classes that I'm using differently.

Given that it's BaseStation that's hanging, that this is the first time I've heard of BaseStation hanging when something connects to it, and that you're seeing the problem when trying to connect from two different machines, I would suspect BaseStation or the environment it's running within - although if it was just a straight-forward "if you connect anything to BaseStation then it hangs" problem then it would have hung when you connected with telnet.

Is there anything unusual about the machine that's running BaseStation? Do you have any third party anti-virus or firewall software that might be poking about with network connections to the machine?

ianhind

Post by ianhind » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Is there anything unusual about the machine that's running BaseStation?
I'm sure there is - not least MultiEm is in the mix. That's the software that sits like a proxy between the BaseStation hardware and allows multiple copies of BaseStation to run from one SBS box. I have it set up like that for testing purposes as much as anything else.

And lots of Virtual Machines to isolate tasks - one sits 24/7 running BS with PlanePlotter on WinXP - this is the source of BS output for VRS.

Testing mono VRS on a virtual Linux box. Thing is that the Windows version of VRS that works fine is also in a VM running a spare copy of Win7. So anything upsetting the Linux version might also be expected to upset the Win7 version?

Version 1.23 worked fine for both operating systems. Let me play around some more. There will be something obvious that I'm missing!

For information Version 2 on virtual Win7 worked fine in combining data from a Beast, DVB-T dongle and Radarbox.

Thanks for the software.

Ian

agw

Post by agw » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:53 am

I can't remember changing anything between 1.2.4 and 2.0.0 with regards to the connection to the source, other than moving it about a bit - I don't think the sockets code has been touched for a while now. If it's still failing under a clean install of 2.0.0 then you can download and install 1.2.4 from here and confirm that it works with that:

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/VersionHistory.aspx

I'm hoping that if it fails with one then it'll fail with the other :)

agw

Post by agw » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:46 pm

I've found and fixed a bug today that might have been causing this problem (http://tracker.virtualradarserver.co.uk ... sue/VRS-64) - the bug would cause VRS to connect to BaseStation and then disconnect in a loop, probably about once a second. That didn't lock BaseStation for me but it didn't do much for reading the feed either :)

If you want a preview build of VRS 2.0.1 to play with to see if it solves your problem then please let me know - either PM me or email me.