VRS and Monodevelop

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
Post Reply
F4FXL
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:43 am

VRS and Monodevelop

Post by F4FXL » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Hi all,

Anyone already tried to compile VRS under Monodevelop ?
Following this discussion I tried to compile VRS "bleeding edge" under monodevelopp to later maybe give it a GTK# user interface that would run under Linux and especially the Raspberry Pi (it runs fine on x86 systems).

First issue is the unability to load test projects, Monodevelopp does not know what to start with them....
Second issue is file naming. Linux file system being case sensitive I have a couple of compile errors related to that, especially in RESX files. Renamed all resource files with lower case, modified RESX with correct path (Images instead of images and this was gone.
Third issue : the file VirtualRadar.Website.Site.Checksums.txt is missing. I guess it is generated by VirtualRadar.exe in the dependencies folder... I stoppe dhere for today ...

As soon as there is some progress I'll post it here, but this might take a long time since I'm quite busy with my daytime job in the next months....

jonfear
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:15 pm
Location: Wick St Lawrence
Contact:

Re: VRS and Monodevelop

Post by jonfear » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi

No help on the Linux side but the best of luck. If the black text box issue could be sorted, I would run VRS on Linux. Linux is much more processor and memory friendly. I would have to sort out the AD Pro question!

I do love your coverage, it would be interesting to see a comparison between the dongle and your "other" receiver.

It is nice to see an active member from France. Hopefully one day you may wish to helps us at VRS World. France is very poorly represented at present, that is a real shame given that there are many sites within France.

Best wishes

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

F4FXL
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:43 am

Re: VRS and Monodevelop

Post by F4FXL » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:50 am

jonfear wrote:Hi

No help on the Linux side but the best of luck. If the black text box issue could be sorted, I would run VRS on Linux. Linux is much more processor and memory friendly. I would have to sort out the AD Pro question!

I do love your coverage, it would be interesting to see a comparison between the dongle and your "other" receiver.

It is nice to see an active member from France. Hopefully one day you may wish to helps us at VRS World. France is very poorly represented at present, that is a real shame given that there are many sites within France.

Best wishes

Jon
Hi,

The server you see on my website is running under Linux Debian 7.2 on a Asus eeePC, it runs fine.
Today I am considering installing all the GTK Sharp stuff onto my Windows machine and try to build it under Visual Studio 2012, maybe this would be a better way to go and would avoid all the RESX adjustment stuff every time Andrew updates the code.
I will PM you about feeding VRS world. :mrgreen:

agw
Posts: 2241
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:20 am

Re: VRS and Monodevelop

Post by agw » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:52 am

I have compiled it under MonoDevelop (well, Xamarin Studio, same thing), but I did it on a Mac so the case sensitivity issue didn't come up. When I did it I created a separate solution for it rather than trying to reuse the VS2010 one.

Checksums.txt is created at build time by a utility that ships in the Dependencies folder (I don't have the development machine in front of me right now but I think I called it Checksum.exe or something like that - you give it a folder and it either creates a text file of checksums or dumps the checksums to stdout). That utility will run under Mono on Linux, and MonoDevelop can be told to run shell scripts pre- and post-build. I think on the Mac I wrote a shell script to run it under Mono. I then replaced the existing pre-build step for the VirtualRadar.WebSite project that calls Checksum.exe with a call to that script.

There were a couple of other things I had to do to get a Mac version building from Xamarin Studio but they were more around getting the web site files into the resources folder, they won't be an issue with a vanilla Linux build.

However, if you have a Windows machine then I would have thought that you could copy GTKSharp on there and develop against that, using Visual Studio?
jonfear wrote:I would have to sort out the AD Pro question!
I do have a standalone utility (unreleased) that can synchronise the aircraft from one BaseStation.sqb with another, you can have a go with that if you like. I've been thinking about building something similar into the database writer plugin.

The label text thing is an issue with libcario, which Mono uses when you render text on images in .NET. It was not at all stable under any version of Linux that I tried when it was called multithreaded, in the end I had to stop the Mono version from doing anything that eventually boils down to libcario's text handling. However that was a couple of years ago now, maybe the situation has improved since then - I could add something to 2.0.3 to let Mono users try the normal text drawing stuff instead of label text and see if it works for them. That switch would be turned off by default.

F4FXL
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:43 am

Re: VRS and Monodevelop

Post by F4FXL » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:04 am

agw wrote:I have compiled it under MonoDevelop (well, Xamarin Studio, same thing), but I did it on a Mac so the case sensitivity issue didn't come up. When I did it I created a separate solution for it rather than trying to reuse the VS2010 one.
Yep this is what I did :)
agw wrote: Checksums.txt is created at build time by a utility that ships in the Dependencies folder (I don't have the development machine in front of me right now but I think I called it Checksum.exe or something like that - you give it a folder and it either creates a text file of checksums or dumps the checksums to stdout). That utility will run under Mono on Linux, and MonoDevelop can be told to run shell scripts pre- and post-build. I think on the Mac I wrote a shell script to run it under Mono. I then replaced the existing pre-build step for the VirtualRadar.WebSite project that calls Checksum.exe with a call to that script.
Figured this out, but did not went any further.
agw wrote: There were a couple of other things I had to do to get a Mac version building from Xamarin Studio but they were more around getting the web site files into the resources folder, they won't be an issue with a vanilla Linux build.

However, if you have a Windows machine then I would have thought that you could copy GTKSharp on there and develop against that, using Visual Studio?
I have one Windows machine with VS2012, actually I think integrating GTK# through a Windows Devloppment environment will be less hassle. No idea when this will happen as I am quite busy with my daytime job and other hobby projects ! :(

Post Reply