VRS on Debian 7

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
avioradar

VRS on Debian 7

Post by avioradar » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:50 am

Did anyone manage to install VRS on debian VPS server?

I'm trying and i get this error when staring VirtualRadar.exe
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Could not open display (X-Server required. Check you DISPLAY environment variable)
Parameter name: Display
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.SetDisplay (IntPtr display_handle) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.GetInstance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.EnableVisualStyles () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VirtualRadar.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Capecod

Re: VRS on Debian 7

Post by Capecod » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Hello avioradar,

I use VRS on Debian Wheezy, but what is a VPS server ?

Capecod

avioradar

Post by avioradar » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:21 pm

Here you have explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server.

p.s.

i managed to run VRS....all working fine

Lector

Post by Lector » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi avioradar!
Could you please share, how did you managed VRS to work on Debian?
I have Banana Pi with raspbian OS running on it and trying to make VRS working. This even works though, untill I'm trying to open 'Options'. It crashes just showing me an options dialog for a second.
And yet one thing supposingly goes wrong is that no Configuration.xml appears in config directory (for my case it is '/home/bananapi/.local/share/VirtualRadar/') after the first and later runnings of VRS.
If I create it from the scratch by doing 'cat /dev/null > Configuration.xml', then overwriting the zero-size file by the program to default content during the first VRS run and then editing it to the right settings or even by doing 'cat /temp/"old config.xml from Windows instalation" > Configuration.xml', it seemes tobe can't be used by VRS, and all the receivers are staying in "Connecting" state. I see 'acces denied' in the connection log for those receivers.
Doing the same for root account at least allows the Configuration.xml (in correspondent directory /root/.local/share/VirtualRadar) to be used by the program and receivers gets "Connected" at least. But anyway, config file need to be created manually in first with the correct content.
I don't think that this is a kind of access right issue, as it is always conformed to each other. VRS itself is located in the same user's home directory and all the content in both (program and configuration) directories is owned by the same system user.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Lector on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

avioradar

Post by avioradar » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:55 pm

my installation is on Debian VPS server
i followed instructions for linux instalation, installed mono (complete) and that's it
I had to install Graphical Desktop LXDE as VPS server has no desktop (it's server).
I always use configuration.xml created on my Windows PC and have no issues with it.