Routes

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
rtou

Routes

Post by rtou » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi there!

I'm using VRS under Ubuntu 12.04 and I am very happy with the stability and also the performance. Unfortunately I get this error when I try to download routes:

Is there a way to update the routes manually? I can't comprehend the error at all. Under Windows the update-function works without problems.

Regards rtou

agw

Re: Routes

Post by agw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:28 pm

I've just tried the manual download of routes under Ubuntu 12.04 and it's working for me. You might get something like this if I'm in the middle of rebooting the server while you're trying to download but I wasn't doing anything with the server on Sunday. Is it happening all of the time?

You can download the routes manually - if you go to this page:

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/FlightRoutes.aspx

then download the FlightNumbers.csv and FlightNumberCoverage.csv files and copy them into your ~/.local/share/VirtualRadar folder (for Ubuntu 12.04).

It'd be interesting to see whether you can download the files directly from Ubuntu. When you click on these links from Ubuntu do they work?

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/Fil ... verage.csv
http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/Fil ... umbers.csv

You could also try using curl to download them from the command prompt, that might be a little closer to what VRS is trying to do:

Code: Select all

curl http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/Files/FlightNumberCoverage.csv
It'd be interesting to know whether you get a status 404 page back from that or whether it shows you the content of the file.

rtou

Post by rtou » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Strange thing!
To download the files manually with curl, wget or via the links in your post is not a problem at all. After download I've copied the files into the folder ( ~/.local/share/VirtualRadar) but VRS doesn't recognize the files. No routes are shown in the GUI.

I tried that on another Ubuntu 12.04 machine... Unfortunately no success :(

agw

Post by agw » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:55 am

If you go into VRS and go to Help | About, what does VRS show for the configuration folder?

rtou

Post by rtou » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:00 am

It shows /home/ladmin/.local/share/VirtualRadar. This is also the folder where I've stored the Route files.

agw

Post by agw » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Are you using a proxy? Is it possible that VRS isn't going through the proxy when it should be? It would explain the 404 on downloading those files.

The route files will be read from that folder if they're there. When you say that you have no routes in the GUI, is that for particular aircraft? The route files are a bit light on routes for some airlines. Also the routes are only loaded when VRS starts up, and the route lookup only happens when an aircraft either first transmits its callsign or transmits a new callsign, so if you copied the files in while VRS is running it would have no effect.

What are the file sizes for AirlineCodes.csv and AirportCodes.csv in your ~./local/share/VirtualRadar folder?

rtou

Post by rtou » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:15 pm

Problem solved! :D
There were no AirlineCodes.csv and AirportCodes.csv but AirlineCodes.tmp and AirportCodes.tmp. I copied the files from a Windows machine in the folder and now everything is working fine. I can also use the update function for the routes.
Thank you very much for the support!

Regards

agw

Post by agw » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:18 am

That's good news :) It sounds like the update process might have gone awry at some point, it copies the downloaded files as .tmp and then deletes the originals before renaming the .tmp to .csv. I'll take a look at the code, it shouldn't break just because the .tmp files are still hanging around from a failed download.

Would you mind sending me your VirtualRadarLog.txt file from that folder please? It will have a record of any exceptions that you've had, you can either PM me on here or email it to me at the address on the site and I'll see if it has some indication of what went wrong.

Thanks,
Andrew

notastrawperson

Post by notastrawperson » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:45 pm

I have the same issue on Ubuntu 12.10 on 2 machines. I followed the instructions here and it appears the routes do show for some after manually downloading and/or renaming the .tmp files to .csv, so its working manually but that didnt fix the download function, I still get the unhandled exception 404 error.

agw

Post by agw » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:29 am

Do you have to go through a proxy to reach the Internet?