Basic Pi question

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
G0HEU

Basic Pi question

Post by G0HEU » Sun May 24, 2015 11:49 am

hi all

I am trying to setup VRS on a pi, I have got Dump1090 running and picking aircraft. I have loaded VRS and mono and as others it runs until you go in the setting so I am trying to sort out the xml files. I have copied over from a working copy on windows configaration.xml and the installconfigration.xml into the local/share/VirtualRadar loaded up VRS to find the receiver is not picking up the dongle ( it the same dongle out of the windows machine). can anyone give me an idea of the setting within the receiver section of the configuration.xml or do I need to change something else ???

thanks
Paul

jonfear

Re: Basic Pi question

Post by jonfear » Sun May 24, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi Paul

You should be able to edit the configuration.xml file using vi. Look for the receiver in the file and check the IP address. You will need something like 127.0.0.1 for receiving from the same device as dump1090 is running. I suspect that you have your standard network address listed.

Hope this helps however if not then please drop us a line.

BTW, VRS runs much better on a Raspberry Pi2. There is more cpu horsepower available. The old "B" version is pretty much flat out if you are in a busy traffic area.

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Sun May 24, 2015 3:01 pm

if you want to run it on a pi, i think the ideal option is modesmixer instead of VRS. not bashing it by any means, its just not designed for a pi

G0HEU

Post by G0HEU » Sun May 24, 2015 4:47 pm

HI Jon

the ip address is already set to 127.0.0.1 and the port 30001.

I am using the PI2 which all seems to be working except it is not reading the data stream from Dump1090

Paul

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Sun May 24, 2015 5:11 pm

Have you tried port 30002 or 30005? That is the normal ports for dump1090.

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.