VRS on Wine

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
RickWakeman

VRS on Wine

Post by RickWakeman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:16 am

Hello,

I am running VRS on Wine and occasionally I get an error "Fatal error in GC". I have to terminate the application and restart it to get it working again. This is on Fedora Core 17.

Any ideas?

agw

Re: VRS on Wine

Post by agw » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:46 pm

GC is a part of the .NET Framework called the garbage collector, it's responsible for compacting and freeing memory that is no longer in use. Applications don't make direct calls to the GC (not usually anyway), the GC just runs in the background, jumping in and freeing / compacting memory when it needs to.

There's not much I can do to help you with this, I've never tried running VRS under Wine. If I want to run VRS on Linux then I run it under Mono. I think your best bet here is to turn to Google and hope someone else has hit the same thing. With the GC being used by every .NET program the chances are good that someone else has hit the issue, but with a billion configuration settings in Wine and a typically curt error message from Microsoft I'm not sure that you'll find a solution.

RickWakeman

Re: VRS on Wine

Post by RickWakeman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:18 am

Thanks for the reply. I had trouble installing Mono which is why I turned to Wine. It is not a huge deal because I don't depend on VRS and I can close it out and re-open it easy enough (usually).