Going to Tools-Options makes VRS crashing

Bug reports and questions about running Virtual Radar Server on Linux
EHTW18

Going to Tools-Options makes VRS crashing

Post by EHTW18 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:33 pm

I installed Mono on my Rasp. Extracted the tgz file and configured an xml file so the webport is 8090. Starting VirtualRadar.exe works fine, it even finds the stick at 127.0.0.1. VRS keeps working fine until I go to Tools-Options, this makes it crashing. How to avoid this crash?

Regards. Hennie.

agw

Re: Going to Tools-Options makes VRS crashing

Post by agw » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:43 pm

Mono on the Raspberry Pi has some issues with it's WinForms implementation. The only way to avoid the crash is not to go into Tools | Options.

This does make configuring the server difficult. I'm in the middle of rewriting the Web Admin plugin, when that's done you'll be able to run the server headless and use a web browser to configure VRS. In the meantime you're stuck with either editing Configuration.xml by hand, which is not fun, or setting up the configuration on another machine and then copying Configuration.xml across to your Pi. The Configuration.xml file can be found in %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualRadar on Windows machines and ~/.local/share/VirtualRadar on Linux machines.

rdjsb

Post by rdjsb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:18 pm

The Configuration.xml file is missing on my Raspberry Pi2 in the ~/.local/share/VirtualRadar map.
The solution in this topic is not working : http://forum.virtualradarserver.co.uk/v ... rt=20#p750
VRS reports that the Configurationfile is corrupt and ask if I want to write a fresh copy with default settings. After yes VRS stops and nothing happens.
There is no new populated Configuration.xml file in the configuration folder.

Can please someone help?

agw

Post by agw » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:14 pm

Do you have any other files in ~/.local/share/VirtualRadar or is the folder empty? Are you logged in as the same user that is running VRS?

rdjsb

Post by rdjsb » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:00 pm

The folder ~/.local/share/VirtualRadar contains the following 10 files :
- AircraftOnlineLookupCache.sqb
- AircraftOnlineLookupCache.sqb-journal
- ConnectionLog.sqb
- ConnectionLog.sqb-journal
- FlightNumberCoverage.csv
- InstallerConfiguration.xml (which I created myself due to port change from 8080 to 8085)
- StandingData.sqb
- Users.sqb
- Users.sqb-journal
- VirtualRadarLog.txt

There are no folders inside the folder ~/.local/share/VirtualRadar

On my Rapberry Pi2 i have only configured one user. I logged in with that user when I installed VRS and I log in with that user when I run VRS.

With this extra information, do you have any idea what's wrong or how I can fix this?

agw

Post by agw » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:20 pm

Okey dokey, I've just had a try and you're right, that's stopped working at some point. I'll fix it for the next preview release.

In the meantime create a Configuration.xml in the folder and write this into it:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Configuration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
</Configuration>
That will give you the default configuration. You might have some difficulty in editing it though, WinForms is broken on Raspbian. I'm making good headway on the web admin plugin, I expect to have a preview release of it by next weekend with basic support for editing the configuration.

rdjsb

Post by rdjsb » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Thanks for your help!
I am looking forward to the preview release with web admin plugin.