AAL routes out of date

Having a problem with the routes site, or want to report a missing airline or airport? This is the place for you.
bleyton

AAL routes out of date

Postby bleyton » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Last week I noticed that practically every American Airlines flight in my area had incorrect route information. I dutifully submitted updates to every one I saw. These updates were processed, but later I saw that many were wrong again. So I submitted updates again. Now they are wrong again. When I looked at the history for one of the flights, I saw that each time my updates were accepted, they were overwritten by "Timetables". I assume that this is some route source that you have access to, but which appears to be out of date.

You might want to look at this. It's obviously pointless for me to send in updates until this is resolved.

agw

Re: AAL routes out of date

Postby agw » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:51 pm

Yes, the problem is that the AAL timetables are coming out of a CSV file that they publish on their cargo site but it's riddled with bizarre mistakes that are very hard to work around. So some of it would be down to those.

Another issue is that AAL, in common with some other US airlines, like to switch destinations around on routes based on the date that it's flying... so you might have AIRPORT#1 - AIRPORT#2 - AIRPORT#3 on Mon-Fri and AIRPORT#1-AIRPORT#3 on Saturday. This gets recorded in the timetables and the routes compiler picks up the correct route for the day that the routes are being compiled for... but that's the correct day as at 00:35 GMT, which is when the route compiler runs. Depending on the time difference between you and the UK, and when your installation of VRS downloaded the routes, you could be seeing the version of the route for yesterday or tomorrow.

One of the things that I'm going to be changing for v3 of VRS is how routes are downloaded. I would like to get away from relying on a single downloaded file of route data and I'd like installations in different locales to apply their time zone when interpreting timetables.

I think in AAL's case I'm just going to give up and deactivate their timetable data. Whatever routes are in there now are going to stick and you'll be able to overwrite them.

I think the other thing I'll do is have the site warn people if they're correcting a route that's covered by an active timetable entry. I'm going to be doing some work on the SDM site after the upcoming release, I'll do it at the same time as that.

bleyton

Re: AAL routes out of date

Postby bleyton » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:45 pm

A warning would be great, so that we don't waste time updating a route that will ultimately be overwritten.

I think the AAL situation is even worse than what you describe. Many of the AAL routes that I have been correcting were obviously wrong, because I am near KLAX, but the routes go nowhere near here. Yes, many routes are ones where they have simply added KLAX to an existing route, but many were completely different, and have been for some time (according to FlightAware, which is usually where I go to check out the current route).

Return to “Routes”