The Route Updates Delimna

Having a problem with the routes site, or want to report a missing airline or airport? This is the place for you.
Aardvark

The Route Updates Delimna

Post by Aardvark » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:08 pm

I am wondering if there is an easier way to get updated routes into the database. I live on Long Island, NY, 13nmi northeast of JFK and 9nmi east of LGA, and have been using this software for about three weeks now. Being the busiest air traffic area in the United States I see a lot of air traffic, especially being in the ROBER approach flight path to JFK runway 22. I have already submitted a large number of route corrections but I see it is a losing battle. Just about every existing JetBlue route in the database that I have not already corrected is wrong. A significant number of Delta and American Airlines routes are also proving to be wrong. So far, I am only correcting routes that originate or land at JFK and LGA or happen to be passing overhead with incorrect data (seeing a flight destined to Boston at 32000 feet is a dead giveaway the route is wrong as they need to be at 27000 or less to approach Boston from here). I have been searching for sources of route data and I see a group on Yahoo! at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PP-logs-and-routes/ that maintains an extensive database for Plane Plotter. Is there any possibility of working with them to integrate their database or access it for use with Virtual Radar? For just my area alone, it could be full time job trying to update the routes for all the aircraft around here!

agw

Re: The Route Updates Delimna

Post by agw » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:49 pm

I can certainly write to the guy and ask. Regarding Delta and AA, I do have code to parse in the routes for these from their published timetables - but for those two the code is parsing PDF files and it's a tricky job, the parser has been failing on their recent timetables and I've not had time to look at it recently. I'll try to make a bit of time to look at it this week. The parser only creates routes with the standard callsign format as well, it can't do anything about the alphanumeric alias callsigns.

agw

Re: The Route Updates Delimna

Post by agw » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Ooops - I don't have code to parse Delta timetables. I've got parsers for OneWorld and Star Alliance which (when they're working) cover AA but Delta are with SkyTeam and they're apparently too cheap to pay OAG for PDF timetables :) They've got some PC desktop program that carries all of the timetable information - I did have a look at the database behind it to see how easy or otherwise it'd be to extract timetables from it but the data was spread out over about 20 files and I didn't have the time to work out how it all fits together. I will return to that because if I can extract timetables from these desktop schedule programs then that would save me a whole pile of hassle with the PDF parsers.

Delta do publish their own PDF timetables but their format was even more of a nightmare than OneWorld's & Star Alliance's.