Missing Leading Zero's in Callsigns

Having a problem with the routes site, or want to report a missing airline or airport? This is the place for you.
CharlieAlpha

Missing Leading Zero's in Callsigns

Post by CharlieAlpha » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 pm

What is the "correct" (recommended) way to deal with 'missing' leading zeros in callsigns / routes?

I have noticed for some airlines when you view the reports the route is not shown even when there is a callsign. Looking in the routes table of the standing data database this seems to be because the callsign (recorded in the flights log) includes a leading zero with the flight number component while the callsign in the routes table omits that leading zero.

for example

I recorded Etihad A6-ETK on Monday. The callsign recorded in flights log and shown on the report is "ETD020"; route information is not shown on the report. If however I look in the routes table (well RouteView because its more readable) there is an entry for "ETD20" with routing from Heathrow to Abu Dhabi.

Do I need to update the routes to add the 'missing' zero or should I be adding my own "duplicate" entry for ETD020? Or is this bug with the report; should it automagically allow for the leading zero (not sure how you would do that since there is no standard for callsigns / flight numbers).

It is not just Etihad I just used this flight as an example.

Charlie

agw

Re: Missing Leading Zero's in Callsigns

Post by agw » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:44 am

The code behind the main map page strips leading zeros from the flight number when it's looking up routes (if it can't find a route for the transmitted callsign). In fact it tries a whole bunch of alternatives. However the reports don't try any alternatives. That was a bug and it's been fixed for 2.0.2, which should be released this weekend.

So short version - don't do anything, it'll work in 2.0.2. Hopefully! :)

CharlieAlpha

Re: Missing Leading Zero's in Callsigns

Post by CharlieAlpha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks. I'll give 2.0.2 a try when it's released.

Charlie