Airline code STK

Having a problem with the routes site, or want to report a missing airline or airport? This is the place for you.
jonfear

Airline code STK

Post by jonfear » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi Andrew

Code STK is now used for Stobart Air (aka Eddie Stobart, aka aer arann). Aeropak appears to have become defunct.

Can we change the standing data so we can update the routes.

Thanks

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

agw

Re: Airline code STK

Post by agw » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:02 am

Thanks for that - Stobart Air now added, Aer Arann and Aeropac now deactivated.

CharlieAlpha

Post by CharlieAlpha » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Apologies for slightly off-topic diversion of this thread but I was wondering how people handle changes like this.

The change to Stobart Air (STK) only recently became effective (3-Aug, I think). Looking at my reports I have flights logged for Stobart / Aer Arran aircraft that pre-date the change.

If I change the Operatorflagcode and Registeredowners for those aircraft while new 'spots' with show the right icons/owners the old reports will show wrong information i.e. will show Stobart Air not Aer Arrann as was the case at the time.

My thought is rather than change the aircraft details, for those aircraft that I have "Aer Arrann" spots for I create a new record (with the new operator info) in the basestation db. The existing aircraft id would then still link to the old flights records and hence the reports would show the right (old) info. New 'spots' would use the new aircraft id and hence show the current info. I'd have to remove the hex/modeS value for the original record (or change it to an 'invalid' value) so I didn't have duplicate records - I guess duplicate modes values in the db will confuse VRS / PP etc.

[After-thought: I'd probably have to change the least-significant character of the ModeS because I think the reports use the ModeS value and codeblocks to determine the civil/military and country information and the field is mandatory in the db.]

Maybe I'm being too anal-retentive about this but has anybody else found ways of handle ownership changes that retain the accuracy of historic flight records?

On a related theme - how does VRS handle route changes if a call-sign/flight number is used for different routes over time? Does the 'latest' route information just overwrite the historic route again causing old flight reports to become incorrect?

Feel free to ignore me if I'm being too pedantic.

Charlie

agw

Post by agw » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:12 am

I think VRS will only use the first aircraft record that it finds for a particular ICAO code. If you have two aircraft records with the same code then in principle it's random as to which one VRS will use, but in practise it's probably going to be the first one created. You could try creating a new aircraft record for the old details (!) and then update the flights for the old aircraft ID to use the new aircraft ID. If I remember rightly the reports use a join between the aircraft and flight tables so they might work - but then if the report is guaranteed to be for a single aircraft (e.g. you supply an ICAO code for the criteria) then I think those read the aircraft record and fetch all of the flights for its aircraft ID, in which case it would pick up the first aircraft record and not show you any of the old flights.

For myself I just don't worry about it :) When BA bought BMI I changed all of the BMI aircraft to BA and left it at that.

CharlieAlpha

Post by CharlieAlpha » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Probably wise words Andrew.

While the purist in me would like to have 'accurate' records if I start with change I'll start doing all airline changes and that way madness lies.

I've just changed the Aer Arran aircraft to Stobart Air and I'll leave it at that. Spend the time enjoying VRS rather than 'hacking SQL' to maintain the db (and probably breaking things in the process) :)