Routes with Multiple Legs

Having a problem with the routes site, or want to report a missing airline or airport? This is the place for you.
nolatron

Routes with Multiple Legs

Post by nolatron » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Is Virtual Radar able to tell the correct destination on a route with Multiple Legs/Destinations.

As example I just saw this flight on my VR heading Northeast: American Airlines - Flight # AAL1961

VRS said its destination was KFLL in Florida but FlightAware says it's currently headed to KCLT.

The route in VRS site has the full routing:

MSY - CLT - FLL

Is VRS able to tell where a flight is within a routing with multiple stops?

I'm just getting into all this ADS-B stuff with VRS and was curios how it worked.

Thanks!

agw

Re: Routes with Multiple Legs

Post by agw » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:36 pm

VRS cannot tell which leg of the route is being flown by the aircraft, I'm afraid it's up to the user to eyeball it. I think sites like FlightAware and FlightRadar24 are probably getting the current leg (and other bits of information about the flight) from services like OAG (http://www.oag.com/). In turn OAG get their flight status feeds from airlines and airports. Unfortunately an OAG feed costs proper money, which rules it out for VRS :)

I guess VRS could try to be clever and figure out over a period of time which airports the aircraft is traveling between. It could get tricky in some situations though, e.g. if VRS first sees an aircraft when it is in hold for an airport. It will look like it is alternating between moving towards and then away from the airport, it would not be possible to tell whether it is on the leg where the airport is the destination or the leg where the airport is the departure point.

nolatron

Re: Routes with Multiple Legs

Post by nolatron » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Gotcha! Thanks for the info.