Basestation.sqb

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
milairuk

Basestation.sqb

Postby milairuk » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:33 am

Now that PlaneBase no longer allows access to updated Basestation SQB data, anyone have any ideas where to get one ??

Thanks

John

Martin

Re: Basestation.sqb

Postby Martin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:27 am

John,

I'm confused by your question. I am using Planebase3 and PBLink3 to keep a Basestation.sqb updated. Why do you feel this facility went away?

Martin

milairuk

Postby milairuk » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:59 am

Hi Martin
I have no experience with keeping my own database, I just used to download the sql zip file off the PB website Download Tab. I have downloaded PB3 and PBLink, and updated the databases in PB3, but I have no idea how to export the SQB if this is even possible ?
John

Martin

Postby Martin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:16 pm

John,

I have only limited experience with PBLink (3 months) but this is what it does for me...

Planebase3 receives updates when new ones are available, generally weekly. I run Planebase3 from time to time and download these updates.

Next, you will need to have configured the VRS database writer plugin to write records of flights you see into your Basestation.sqb.

When a "new" aircraft is spotted on ADSB it gets added to the Aircrafts table in Basestation.sqb but it does not have any data other than the Hex code for that aircraft (it is an "unknown").

PBLink3 allows you to select your current Basestation.sqb (the one that is out of date) and then to "Update Unknowns". If the Hex code for an "unknown" is known by Planebase3 then PBlink3 will update the Aircrafts table in Basestation.sqb for you and add the missing details.

I started with a clean (empty) basestation.sqb in July and using this process since then I have added 14,500 records. Three months on and I am now only adding around 50 new ones per day out of the typical 2500-2800 aircraft I see per day. This means that I have a Basestation.sqb that reflects only aircraft I see on my system which is just perfect for VRS.

I hope this helps.

Martin

milairuk

Postby milairuk » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks for that Martin, I am only a casual user of VRS, and I have two RPi's running 24/7, one feeds data to FR24, the other MLAT data to VRS World. As such I have no logging going on and just use VRS on my PC to track A/C locally to me. I find VRS gives me better viewing options than FR24 even though I'm a premium user.

I see Andrew has put a download for a Basestation SQB on this forum, so I guess this will be up to date.

John

brennan74

Postby brennan74 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Is there another program out there that does the same as PNLINK3? i had it running great and then all of a sudden stopped working, tried to reinstall but dont wanna cooperate. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

flieger28

Postby flieger28 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:13 pm

As I understand the Planebase is nowadays a closed Group.
On the site is announced
PlaneBase Program Download for New Users - will return on 14th January 2017

Does that mean that "everyone" can download or only if you have a sponsor?
Applied once and was rejected.

What other ways are there to update missing entries?
And i guess it will be best to Pause the Disk writer Plugin while making any changes?

agw

Postby agw » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:27 pm

If you're making your changes to BaseStation.sqb via the database editor plugin then you do not need to pause the database writer plugin, they will work together.

If you're using a third party utility to edit the SQB then you don't need to disable the database writer plugin as long as the program that's making the edits is running on the same machine that VRS is running on, and that your BaseStation.sqb is also on the same machine. The worst that'll happen is that you might run into some minor locking issues. They're not going to break anything.

SQLite's locking relies on operating system features that don't work well over the network so if you're running the editor on a different machine to the one that's hosting BaseStation.sqb then you should make sure that nothing else (including the database writer plugin) is going to be writing to BaseStation.sqb at the same time.

flieger28

Postby flieger28 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:42 pm

SQLite's locking relies on operating system features that don't work well over the network so if you're running the editor on a different machine to the one that's hosting BaseStation.sqb then you should make sure that nothing else (including the database writer plugin) is going to be writing to BaseStation.sqb at the same time.

Learned that lesson via try and error :(

Return to “General Discussion”