The negative value of Altitude

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
jary.85

The negative value of Altitude

Post by jary.85 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:15 am

Hello,

does anyone know why me by ground radar does not show the value of GND in altitude, but negative altitude? Furthermore, I do not know how to change the icon plane icon on the radar.

Thank Jary

agw

Re: The negative value of Altitude

Post by agw » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:26 am

The negative altitude is because the towers are transmitting a negative altitude. There's not much you can do there :)

The generic aircraft icon is shown because the program doesn't have a model type code for the tower. You can either override that locally by setting the model ICAO type to "-TWR" in BaseStation.sqb or, if you're using the online aircraft detail lookup feature in VRS then I can add records to the online lookup to show that those two are towers. I've added 49F08D, if you let me know the other tower's ICAO then I'll add that as well.

jary.85

Post by jary.85 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:09 am

Hi,

Thank you for answer. Mate operated VRS on Windows and negative values is not. Has there GND value of the same ones immediately, what I'm negative. I attach another ICAO radar.

Tanks Jary

agw

Post by agw » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:35 pm

It's the same code running on Windows and Linux, if there's a difference in the values shown then it'll be down to the feed. Does one of you have a raw feed (i.e. your feed format is set to either AVR/Beast or SBS-3) and the other one have a cooked feed (BaseStation, Aircraft List (JSON) or Compressed VRS)?

If you're taking a cooked feed then something else is processing the messages from the aircraft and sending the results to VRS, and it could be that it's overlooking the on-ground flag that the tower is sending and it's just sending you the altitude instead.

WeKnowMC

Post by WeKnowMC » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:08 am

I've got 3 towers showing on my VRS, how would I get a tower symbol to show instead of the generic aircraft icon?

Their ICAOs are 43BF94 43BF95 43BF96

agw

Post by agw » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:53 am

I'm extended the SDM site to let people submit details for airports, airlines, codeblocks and eventually ground and towers, but it's a little way off from there yet. For the time-being you need to edit your BaseStation.sqb file manually and set the IcaoTypeCode to -TWR for each of those three ICAOs in the Aircraft table.

If you need a hand editing your BaseStation.sqb then drop me an email and I'll walk you through it.

WeKnowMC

Post by WeKnowMC » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:08 pm

agw wrote:For the time-being you need to edit your BaseStation.sqb file manually and set the IcaoTypeCode to -TWR for each of those three ICAOs in the Aircraft table.
Thanks - I've got it working now:

EDDT38

Post by EDDT38 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:56 am

Hi,

how can I display radar towers at my VRS?
A3 ADS-B Antenne | FlightAware Pro Stick | 1090Mhz Filter | Raspberry Pi 2 B
Dump1090 | PiAware | VRS

agw

Post by agw » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:20 am

See the posting directly above your question :)

VRS will show the tower icon for any aircraft records that have an IcaoTypeCode of "-TWR".

Skibox

Post by Skibox » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:14 pm

agw wrote:VRS will show the tower icon for any aircraft records that have an IcaoTypeCode of "-TWR".
I have also tried that, and then they are shown with Species - Radio mast, but no icon is plotted on the map. I can press "show on map", and it moves to the correct position but no icon .