Linking ICAO and/or Reg #'s to operator flags

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
gregw916

Linking ICAO and/or Reg #'s to operator flags

Post by gregw916 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:26 am

Many times I will see an airplane listed in the bottom right of the screen, with ICAO and Reg # shown, I click on it, and above it I see the full description of the airline, aircraft type, etc. Why then if it states "Delta Connection" for example, doesn't it find the correct flag, even though I have the flag in the DB. How do the two get linked together?

I'd like to be able to assign it to a flag for future reference, for me, and anyone else who is using VRS.

T-EGJA1

Re: Linking ICAO and/or Reg #'s to operator flags

Post by T-EGJA1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:14 pm

The OperatorCode (as shown in the aircraft details) needs to have a matching .bmp file in the folder you have specified in "Options>Data Sources>Flags folder"

In the example you've given however, "Delta Connection" is a regional subsidiary of Delta Airlines and doesn't have a specific ICAO Operator Code of its own. Your options therefore, are to either assign it the Delta Airlines code of DAL, or give it a unique code of your own choosing. You will need to use an editor of some kind (e.g. SQLite Expert Personal) to assign or amend Operator flag codes. If you don't have a suitable logo already, then you will then need to create an 85x20 px bmp file of the logo, give it the same name as the code you've assigned and put it into your Flags folder. Once you've done all that, clear your browser cache and your new logo should show up against any a/c with the matching Operator Code.

In the screengrab below, I've circled in red the bit you need to look at - the 3-letter Operator Code needs a corresponding .bmp file in order to display the logo - in this example, the Operator Code is 'EZY' and I have an EZY.BMP file in my Flags folder.
Terry

gregw916

Post by gregw916 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:47 am

Thank you for the detailed explanation! I went in and renamed the files that were for the airline that I knew, with the 3 letter code they were. After clearing my my cache and re-starting the server it worked great! :D

gregw916

Post by gregw916 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:57 am

I want to confirm that if VRS sees an airline, and the Operator Flag Code is incorrect, then somehow I need to tell it the correct 3 letter code. This is one of the 2 ways to get the flags to show up correctly. I assume that I need to modify the Basestation DB SQL file right? I've got this going on now with one airline pulling the wrong 3 letter code, then it of course pulls up the wrong bitmap image.

T-EGJA1

Post by T-EGJA1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:53 pm

Yes - you need to either:
1. change the image file to match the operator code ....... or
2. change the operator code to match the image file

For option #1, you can simply copy and re-name an existing image ... or download a suitable image (the airline's website is often a good place to start looking - or search using google images), then using an image editor, change the size to 85x20 px, however this may distort the image if the original is a different aspect ratio.

For option #2 you'll need to edit your basestation.sqb file - I use SQLite Expert Personal - it's free and can be downloaded from: http://www.sqliteexpert.com/download.html (the second one down is the free version), however an easier way to make a simple change, such as the Operator Code, is to use PBLink from the PlaneBase guys, here: http://planebase.biz/
Terry

gregw916

Post by gregw916 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:53 am

OK, great, that's what I thought I needed to do.

-Greg

batrakiu

Post by batrakiu » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:24 pm

Hi there! I'm stuck in same operators. The ones that haven't "OperatorIcao", so I'm unable to give it a BMP file.

In the example, this is my "lookup log", I cant give a flag to the F16.

In what file I have to make the connection of "Portuguese Air Force" to "AFP" in that planes?

agw

Post by agw » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:01 pm

VRS gets the operator ICAO from your BaseStation.sqb, if you set the OperatorIcao value to AFP then it should get picked up by VRS. I'm guessing that whatever program you're using in your screenshot to view the file can also edit it?

Note that it can take up to a minute before VRS will re-read the database record for the aircraft.

If you are recording the online aircraft detail lookup to BaseStation.sqb (it's an option in the database writer plugin, by default it is switched off) then it will overwrite any changes that you make to the operator flag when it refreshes the details of existing aircraft. If that is going to affect you then there is another option in the database writer plugin to only record the details of new aircraft, if you switch that on then it won't refresh existing aircraft records and your changes should be safe.

batrakiu

Post by batrakiu » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:23 pm

I don't have any "BaseStation.sqb" file. I'm running the VRS in a Rpi (headless) and can't get the database plug-in running. :/
Just got confuses with same getting the AFP and another didn't.

The "StandingData.sqb" have anything about this data?

batrakiu

Post by batrakiu » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:42 am

My 'problem' is solved. If I change the "(null)" (in the "AircraftOnlineLookupCache.sqb" file) to the OperatorIcao that I want, it is actualized in the list and can get the flag right. Thanks. ;)