Hi... New To All This

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
Skirge

Hi... New To All This

Post by Skirge » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi all
I am new to the forum and to ADS-B

I am using a RTL Dongle with RTL1090 & VRS after a few teething problems I am up and running, have a Watson W-50 up outside feeding the dongle (also outside) with 5m of Westflex 103.

I am located in Newcastle Upon Tyne and I would like to know how I can get Mil flights to show on the map, they show in the list and as there is a joint exercise (Jaden Thunder) going on at Otterburn Range this & next week things are very busy.
I am listening in on a Yaesu VR-120 also hooked up to the Watson W-50.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kris

nitro999

Re: Hi... New To All This

Post by nitro999 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi Kris

Welcome to the forum and to this hobby!

In short most passenger aircraft broadcast their position (lat / lon) via ADS-B, but most military aircraft and some others don't openly broadcast their location. That's why you can't see them on your map. Your receiver will pick up their signals and know that the aircraft is there somewhere but won't know exactly where it is. It is possible to calculate the position of aircraft that don't broadcast their position using a clever calculation - a bit like triangulation - if 4 or more receivers in different locations are all picking up the same aircraft signal.

So -using just your receiver you won't be able to plot their location on the map. You'll need some help. There's a few options:

1. Sign up for a sharing website, whereby you feed your data to the site so that they can calculate the positions, and then you view the positions of aircraft from your feed and others around the world on their webpage. Examples include 360radar and ADSBexchange

2. Instead of using a desktop/laptop computer with the dongle you can use a Raspberry Pi and install the PiAware software from Flightaware. The benefit of this is that you send your data to Flightaware who calculate the position of aircraft and then send that position info back to you so that you can display it on your local Virtual Radar Server.

3. I'm sure others will have suggestions too.

Personally I use the Piaware / Flightaware software on a Raspberry Pi as that gives me the calculated positions on my own Virtual Radar Server, but others prefer the sharing websites. I have also set my VRS up to exchange date with other users, so that I see aircraft picked up by their receivers on my VRS too. My VRS is at here if you want to see.

Hope that helps!

Skirge

Post by Skirge » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:08 am

Hi many thanks for your reply

I have started sharing with ADS-B Exchange as a way of testing and learning how to do all of this. I think a dedicated RPI will be my next move as i like the idea of seeing MLAT on my own server and not a shared page.
I guess I am hooked and was very disappointed to see that this weekend no flights were taking place as part of Exercise Jaded Thunder at otterburn as I am idalou located for their air traffic.

I have requested to contribute to 360 radar but have not had a reply as yet.
This my SPLAT I hope it is good enough to be considered worth having as a feed.

nitro999

Post by nitro999 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:56 am

Cool! Enjoy :)

Me109

Post by Me109 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Check out VRS-world.com. Great group of people based in Europe (full disclosure, I admin the NA server side of the site). They have an excellent MLAT network that you would likely enjoy for what you want to do.