REST/JSON API data on VRS map

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
dan_egtc

REST/JSON API data on VRS map

Post by dan_egtc » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:54 am

Hi All,

Excuse my lack of knowledge on this but..

I have seen a few places such as ADSB Exchange which offer access to data via an API (JSON in this case) or the Open Sky network (REST API),

How would i go about getting this live data into VRS just like other normal data feeds?

I have next to no experience with JSON or REST so any help is very much appreciated,

Thanks
Dan

agw

Re: REST/JSON API data on VRS map

Post by agw » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:34 am

I rearranged how VRS handles receivers so that it was easier for plugins to add new receiver formats, so it should be possible to add the Open Sky network feed as a receiver format. However, you would need to write a fair old lump of C# for that, which I'm guessing you might not be too keen on doing.

ADSBExchange - I think if you submit your feed to them then they send you the full feed back in return. You wouldn't need to do any coding there, just add their feed to VRS in whatever format they're sending it in. Actually, looking at this page here:

https://www.adsbexchange.com/data/#

it gives you instructions on how to add a receiver for their feed and the constraints that you have to observe.

dan_egtc

Re: REST/JSON API data on VRS map

Post by dan_egtc » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:53 pm

Thanks for the reply,

i'd be happy to write the code if i knew what to write! haha :)

I've had a look at ADSB exchange however their data can be a bit funny at times - aircraft jumping about and appearing on a 4 mile final even though they have just landed,

Many thanks for the reply :)

Dan