Distance Question

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
MAJSTEVE

Distance Question

Postby MAJSTEVE » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:34 am

What exactly is the "Distance" readout on VRS indicating? I am receiving distances in the 4-5 thousand mile range! Distance from what? Certainly not from my location! Any explanation appreciated!

Steve in Kansas

Skibox

Re: Distance Question

Postby Skibox » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:42 am

MAJSTEVE wrote:What exactly is the "Distance" readout on VRS indicating? I am receiving distances in the 4-5 thousand mile range! Distance from what? Certainly not from my location! Any explanation appreciated!

Set up your own location correctly.

/M

MAJSTEVE

Postby MAJSTEVE » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:42 pm

agw

Postby agw » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:58 pm

I can't see the page you've linked... but the distance is either from the centre of the map or, if you have set a location in the browser, the location that you've specified. My guess is that your screenshot might be showing the receiver location set correctly rather than the browser's location. Receiver location is used in the decoding of ground positions, it doesn't have any influence over the location of the person viewing the site.

Click Menu | Options and on the general screen check to see if "Show current location" is ticked. It'll have a coordinate beside it, that'll be the position that it's calculating the distance from. If it's wrong then tick Set current location - that adds a pin to the map, drag the pin to where you are. Tick the option again to get rid of the pin.

Return to “General Discussion”