Introducing OpenADSB, an iOS app that connects to VRS and dump1090

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
stevefrog

Introducing OpenADSB, an iOS app that connects to VRS and dump1090

Post by stevefrog » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:29 am

Hello, I'm the author of OpenADSB, an iPhone and iPad application that connects to any VRS (2.4) and dump1090 (mutability and MalcolmRobb) server. OpenADSB utilizes VRS and dump1090's JSON feed to smoothly display thousands of aircraft using native iOS code.

Some of OpenADSB's features:
• Connects to Virtual Radar Server version 2.4 and dump1090 (mutability and MalcolmRobb), supports password protected VRS servers
• Comes preconfigured connected to ADS-B Exchange (adsbexchange.com)
• Smoothly displays thousands of aircraft
• Shows aircraft history trails for single or multiple aircraft (VRS only)
• Various aircraft and history trail color schemes and optional legend
• Fully configurable filtering, display only the aircrafts you want to see
• Configurable military, VFR and emergency highlights
• Tap on an aircraft to show more details including a thumbnail image
• Details are fully configurable and includes callsign, registration, ICAO hex code, altitude, speed, vertical speed, heading, aircraft type & operator, squawk code, MLAT, latitude/longitude and more
• Optimized data fetching logic minimizes network, battery usage and server load
• Supports Split View, Slide Over and multitasking on iPad
• Supports iPhone X, runs on iOS 9 and above

Feel free to ask me any questions, either here or at https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenADSB/. OpenADSB can be downloaded on the App Store.

Steve

Skibox

Re: Introducing OpenADSB, an iOS app that connects to VRS and dump1090

Post by Skibox » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:03 am

Hi Steve,

I manage a private VRS server and have tested the app and recommended it to our users. I like it, it is really fast, responsive and configurable and it's a great idea to interface directly to the standard web login of VRS.

I have seen a few anomalies that wold be great if we could work out;

- Speed is missing from about 50% of the flights, but visible when using a web browser on the same VRS server.

- We have integrated tracking of AIS-SAR-AIR resources and their history tracks show up normally on the VRS server, but not in the app. Targets show OK.

- If the app is suspended with a target selected, that target will remain on screen, selected, when the app is re-opened even if the target is by then very old. All other targets are updated. It doesn't disappear until next refresh after it is de-selected.

Some possible improvements:

- Targets (aircraft) are all called "tracks". This was confusing at first.

- Fetch the operator logos from the VRS server. We use a large number of modified logos not available in the app.

- Configurable colours for highlighting. It would imo be more logical if military was green and interesting orange.

- Some additional colours available for aircraft, especially some brighter ones, like the bright blue rightmost in "Altitude1" setting. All single colours are relatively dark.

BR /Marcus

stevefrog

Post by stevefrog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:06 am

Marcus,
Speed is missing from about 50% of the flights, but visible when using a web browser on the same VRS server.
Indeed this is bug. I found the source and will issue a fix soon. Thanks for pointing this out.
AIS-SAR-AIR resources and their history tracks show up normally on the VRS server
Do you have an example of this? If this is on a private server and you wish to discuss over email, I can be reached at OpenADSB at gmail.com

Everything else - all valid and good suggestions. I will try to incorporate these in future updates.

Thanks, Steve

Skibox

Post by Skibox » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Mail sent!

/Marcus

jdor

Post by jdor » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:36 pm

what is the benefit of using this software vs viewing the "mobile" version of a vrs instance ?

Skibox

Post by Skibox » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:31 pm

Much much faster, less load on server, multiple filter options etc.

It's a very nice app for VRS.

/M