Help with Connectors

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
richstevenson

Help with Connectors

Post by richstevenson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Hoping someone can help figure out a couple of things for me. I’ve bought the FlightAware antenna https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WZ ... UTF8&psc=1

The first is determining if my existing cable can be used. I bought it years ago for an LTE antenna that I put up. I believe that it’s rated at 50 ohms, but I can’t be certain as there are no markings. I know that’s limited info, but thought maybe the fact I was using it for LTE may be enough for someone to provide an answer.

Second, is what pigtail do I need for my RTL2838 USB dongle to attach it to the cable. The one I used to connect the cable mentioned above to the LTE device is model PCCAB-727. Looking at the specs for the one I have I 'think' it needs an FME/Male on one end to connect to my existing cable?
I'm however, having a problem identifying what the connector is that I need to connect to the RTL2838.

Thanks for any help.

richstevenson

Re: Help with Connectors

Post by richstevenson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:05 pm

I think this may be what I need, if anyone can help me confirm.
https://www.amazon.com/Right-assembly-a ... fme%2Fmale

I also discovered that the cable I have is RG-58.

agw

Post by agw » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:22 am

I'm afraid I have no idea :) I'll move this to general discussion though, it's not really a VRS installation problem.

Skibox

Post by Skibox » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:23 pm

The small click-in connector on the side of the cheap RTL sticks is an MCX-female, so the pigtail you need should have an MCX-male. Preferably an angled MCX-male, to reduce the load on the connector.

There is also mini-Mcx, MMCX, but it is smaller and will not fit.

The newer/better RTL-sticks have an SMA-female on them, that is the threaded connector of choice for indoor use for ADSB.

The antenna has an N-female.

What kind of connectors is on your current equipment is impossible to know without pictures, but it is not unlikely that it is FME on the cable. LTE sticks can among other have CRC9, TS9, mcx or mmcx connectors.

/M