Alternative to planebase.biz?

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
Tom

Alternative to planebase.biz?

Post by Tom » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi,

Our IT departement started to consider planebase.biz a security risk and blocks all connections. Is there another way to lookup aircraft details? If yes, how?

Thanks
Thomas

kiwikieran

Re: Alternative to planebase.biz?

Post by kiwikieran » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:26 am

I will upload a Base station db later that you can download as use for it.

agw

Post by agw » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:02 am

The online lookup does not connect to planebase.biz, it connects to the Virtual Radar Server SDM site (http://sdm.virtualradarserver.co.uk/). The SDM site's data originally comes from Planebase, hence the namecheck in the credits.

If they're blocking the SDM site then the only thing you can do is go back to using a prepopulated BaseStation.sqb, as kiwikieran suggests.

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:34 pm

That is strange. I have access to the SDM site and e.g. the METAR lookup is working. Firewall settings look good, too. Still, for all newly found aircrafts the additional data is missing.

agw

Post by agw » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:47 pm

If you go to Help | Diagnostics | Aircraft Online Lookup Log then it'll show you whether it's able to perform online lookups. If the program has been running for a while and the list is empty then either it cannot reach the SDM site or there was nothing to look up. If there is at least one entry in that list then it can reach the SDM site.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:24 pm

I've seen 9 new aircrafts today, for none of them there is additional data. The "Aircraft detail online lookup log" is empty. The "Show queues" logfile currently says "Aircraft Online Lookup Queue" Count: 61, Peak, 75 , Dropped 0
Another thing I noticed. The Aircraft detail online lookup section in the Options | Data Sources dialogue shows "data provider : unknown" and no URL. When it is working, I see here the planebase references.

agw

Post by agw » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:04 pm

VRS does not ship with the online lookup provider's details filled in. Instead when the program first fires up, and then every 24 hours after that, it fetches the lookup settings from the SDM site. If it fails to fetch the settings then it'll keep retrying once every few minutes until it gets them. You won't get any online lookups until the settings have been fetched.

If you're not seeing the provider details then it sounds like the fetch of settings failed. Are there any exceptions in the log?