please help with filters for arrival/departures

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
jdor

please help with filters for arrival/departures

Post by jdor » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:16 pm

I am trying to figure a way to show only arrivals/departures to a given airport. For example I have set the filter as shown below in an attempt to only display flights that are arriving at LHR

however it still displays flights departing LHR (as shown below)

I also tried setting the filter to

-LHR (to show arrivals, this shows nothing)
LHR- to show departures, this also shows nothing

This would be a really good functionality especially if listening to for example approach frequencies.

Is this possible ?

Tom

Re: please help with filters for arrival/departures

Post by Tom » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:49 pm

I had a similar idea, unfortunately with limited success. I define an altitude filter to separate aircrafts at cruising altitude from ones taking off or approaching. But this way I also see traffic of another nearby airport and other low flying things.
Nice would be a filter for Vertical speed so you could distinguish ascending from descending planes.

agw

Post by agw » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:10 pm

Things would get a little tricky if the route has more than two stops, e.g. LHR - SNN - JFK. If you filtered for aircraft arriving at SNN then you'd get that aircraft both when it's arriving and when it's departing.

I can add a filter for a range of vertical speed though.

jdor

Post by jdor » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:13 pm

thanks, I tried checking filtering on vertical speed on https://opensky-network.org/network/explorerwhich works well but any time an aircraft does a missed approach/go around it disappears from view as the vertical rate of speed would go from eg

-1200 to +1200
as it gains altitude and goes around.

The only way I think this would properly work on VRS is if there was an arrival field and a departure field eg

Departure Arrival
BGI LGW

maybe then we could set the filter to arrival IS LGW

agw

Post by agw » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:16 pm

As I said before, VRS isn't clever enough to be able to tell what stage of the flight an aircraft is at. It could pick the closest airport but in a 3+ stop route it can't tell if you are arriving at or departing from any airport that isn't at the start or end of the route. If the route is LHR - SNN - JFK then it can tell the aircraft is closer to SNN than LHR or JFK but it can't tell whether it is arriving at or departing from SNN.