VirtualRadar-Service Local System Rebroadcast

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
haebigou

VirtualRadar-Service Local System Rebroadcast

Post by haebigou » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:00 am

Hey Andrew,
Another question regarding the windows service in 3.0.0b: if I run the service as a local system account I can't seem to connect to any rebroadcast servers, do you know why?

Not sure wheter this is intentional or a bug so I figured I post it here...
Thanks again for your awesome work!

agw

Re: VirtualRadar-Service Local System Rebroadcast

Post by agw » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

The screenshot is of a different service to the VRS one. But the problem is probably that you don't have any VRS configuration stored against the local system account. Your configuration is probably stored against your own Windows account.

The configuration data is stored in %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualRadar. On Windows 10 machines %LOCALAPPDATA% expands out to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local.

When you run as local system the <username> will be Default (I think).

You could try copying the VirtualRadar folder from your user folder to the Default user folder, see if that works. But LocalSystem has much higher permissions than VRS needs, you shouldn't really be using it for stuff like VRS. If you don't want to use your own user for the service then create a new normal user and use that instead. LocalSystem is akin to root in Unix or Linux, if you don't need to use it then it's best not to.