Antenna loft or roof?

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
jdor

Antenna loft or roof?

Post by jdor » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:19 am

Hi everybody,

I'm after some tips and recommendations please.

I'm ready to get a proper aerial now, the question(s) are

Should I put the aerial in the loft or on the roof? If it goes on the roof I'll have to pay someone to install, so there's an extra cost involved and I won't be able to experiment with finding the best position If it goes in the loft, not only could I run a shorter coax cable, but I could also experiment with different locations in the loft. I could also potentially put the the sdr and even the pi up there too. There is no sockets in the loft. Also what's best for noise reduction? A shorter Coax, a shorter usb or the sdr not plugged directly into the pi. I guess all 3 would be ideal?

Next the antenna, any recommendations on a good antenna, will an outdoor antenna be better to use if I go in the loft. I don't mind getting an lna filter regardless of loft or roof, if it would make range better

The loft is like a furnace in the summer and like the artic in the winter, so the pi and sdr might not be best placed in the loft.

Many thanks

Dodsy

Re: Antenna loft or roof?

Post by Dodsy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Place the antenna in the loft then put the pi in another room and run the wire through by drilling a small hole that way you get better coverage and can keep the pi cooler

A roof antenna is OK but when you get strong winds it could get damaged