Some planes don't get plotted

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
jonnycat

Some planes don't get plotted

Post by jonnycat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:57 pm

Hello all, I notice that despite having a number of planes showing as being tracked in VRS, only a fraction of them actually show up on the map. Am I correct to assume that this is a function of some planes not sending out their location coordinates with the rest of their information? I'm here in the states, and I do know that we are behind the times WRT ADS-B technologies.

Thanks!

agw

Re: Some planes don't get plotted

Post by agw » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:54 am

Yes, you're correct. All of the aircraft that appear in the list are transmitting some Mode-S messages, but only those that are transmitting ADS-B with positions will show up on the map.

jonnycat

Post by jonnycat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:05 am

Thanks AGW, I appreciate it.

jonnycat

Post by jonnycat » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:17 pm

Well this is just funny, the only plane that is being plotted is a single engine Vans RV-12 (kit airplane), going on a zig-zagging pleasure trip around my local area at about 3000 feet. Meanwhile, none of the major carriers I am tracking (Horizon, Alaska, Virgin America, Southwest) have location beacons.

I had something similar happen yesterday when the only plane was a private plane out of Washington State. I guess the major carriers aren't going to bother with a retrofit until they absolutely have to, but it's funny that some random guy in a little kit-built plane is already up and running.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:51 pm

Hi

From what I see here in the Vancouver, BC area, only 20%-30% of the commercial aircraft use ADS-B, the majority are probably short range planes that may be retired before the 2020 North American ADS-B required date. I also see many planes to and from the Orient as well as Europe and the Middle East. I am fairly certain that all of those planes do use ADS-B. My receiver/antenna has about a 200nm range in most directions except to the NW to NE quarter which is about 100nm.

Military - no fighters have ever shown but I do see tankers and transports with, I assume, Mode-C only; they do at least get listed.

GaryG

jonnycat

Post by jonnycat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:12 am

Hi Gary, yeah I saw a Singapore Shipping plane the other night being plotted, as well as the planes from Hawaii, and UPS/FedEx. I have also had a few mil craft show up, a tanker and a couple troop transports, but like you said they don't broadcast their position.