Have you ever gone outside to see a plane you were tracking?

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
jonnycat

Have you ever gone outside to see a plane you were tracking?

Post by jonnycat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:59 am

I was looking at my VRC console today, and one of the planes being tracked was one of the Gulfstreams owned by Nike. Fortunately, it provided ADS-B location, so I was able to plot it as well, and it was within a mile of being over my house at 32k feet. Wondering if I would be able to see it, I went outside with the binoculars and was really excited to find out that I was not only able to spot the plane, but it had a nice long contrail pointing right to it! Checking it out with the binoculars confirmed that it was indeed the plane I was plotting inside.

Have you ever been plotting a plane and had the opportunity to go outside and see it in flight?

jonfear

Re: Have you ever gone outside to see a plane you were track

Post by jonfear » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:26 am

Hi

I live on the approach path to 09 at EGGD and frequently track the aircraft in, in real time.

I just love this hobby.

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

jonnycat

Post by jonnycat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:07 pm

That would be pretty cool to be able to see more of them in real life!

Cix

Post by Cix » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:21 am

I frequently check outside if I have a high signal level on the police and medical choppers, they dont send position, so I watch for high signal levels above 150, and usually spot them right away.

jonnycat

Post by jonnycat » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Where are you getting the signal level from?

Cix

Post by Cix » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:43 am

I have no clue, but theres an option to display signal level at Options | Aircraft | Aircraft Details. I tried it out and it does give a signal level, I guess VRS takes the info from RTL1090.

p.s. when you check out signal level on aircrafts that are from other recievers, a signal level will not display!

agw

Post by agw » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:25 am

I'm afraid that it's just the Beast binary format that has a signal level on it. The signal level will be blank for all other formats.

I'm to the west of Heathrow and frequently watch the planes going by my window as they track along the Thames on departure :)

jonnycat

Post by jonnycat » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:26 pm

Hey thanks guys. Cix, what are your settings in RTL1090? I tried it with a stock configuration and I'm still not getting signal strength.

Thanks for the explanation Andrew, that makes sense. Sounds like you're in a great to watch the planes!

manaesh

Post by manaesh » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 pm

Yep - I watch them file in over the atlantic, over ireland, across wales, and hit Ockham aorund 7k feet, just about 1 mile from my house...

Show the daughter and she is impressed that I know what type they are!

Also late in summer, we have LHR departing very close to our house - nice to have a beer and watch them depart!!

All good fun and a interesting hobby!!!

Mike

jonnycat

Post by jonnycat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:36 am

That sounds like fun, you are in a good location for planespotting. I have been getting better at recognizing the various carriers in my region, and last weekend I had TWO planes being plotted and tracked at the same time that were visible from my back door, which was rather exciting.