Have you ever gone outside to see a plane you were tracking?

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
hatter1951

Re: Have you ever gone outside to see a plane you were track

Post by hatter1951 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:26 pm

Sunday morning usually sees me gazing skywards as yet another easyjet or Ryanair passed low overhead on a somewhat circuitous route to pick up the approach to LPL. This is the reason i looked into the Radar programs in the first place. Trouble is, now that i do use VR i have a crick in my neck due to my continual skyways gazing ! I did pull off a bit of a coup summer 2013 on holiday in France as a big airliner was doing some extended circuits. Consulting the phone app. showed it to be none other than THE prototype A350 flight testing over the Bay if Biscay and making landfall right above me ! Don't you love it when a plan comes together ?!

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Tue May 20, 2014 7:37 am

It was interesting last night as flight paths had to be changed to suit weather conditions. We had several large thunder storms in the area and the normal routings were out the door! As I live about 10 dme from the end of 09 at Bristol, The approach paths were most interesting to watch out the window as well as on VRS.

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

SomeGen

Post by SomeGen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:32 pm

I live right under the main flight path for YPPH. I regularly check my VRS to see what just flew over head, or what caused all the light in my house to disappear for a moment as the shadow of a plane crosses my house. I ran out once in my pyjamas because I saw a US Navy Poseidon on the radar and saw that it was about to fly past. I couldn't miss that one.

Extranet

Post by Extranet » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:36 pm

Yup all the time :)

I just watched a Dornier UH-1D Iroquois (205) Helicopter come over the hill behind my apartment & watched it being tracked on VRS ...very cool Stuff :)

Btw Jon I'm in South Germany & once I can send PM's I'll drop you a line to add my feed to http://www.vrs-world.com
Nigel
VRS World is a Private ADSB Network with its own MLAT Server.
If your interested in joining us then please visit our Facebook Group
for more details or email support(at)vrs-world.com

schurli

Post by schurli » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Btw Jon I'm in South Germany & once I can send PM's I'll drop you a line to add my feed to http://www.vrs-world.com
Nigel
Great idea! To fill up the gap. :) BTW, I am the lonely, unconnected feed to the east of southern Germany. ;)

So long

Georg

Nightsurfer

Post by Nightsurfer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:47 am

I'm directly under N601 and perilously close to a couple of Helicopter routes used by both GA and mil. I've lost count of the number of AH64, Puma, Lynx, Merlin and Chinook in the overhead, although annoyingly they frequently seem to favour flying above the cloudbase. Oh, then there's the occasional CV22 on its way back to Mildenhall. Almost none of these have ads-b but mode-s sig strength combined with my ears gives a good indication of when it's time to run outside.

Regards,

Julian

--
G1EKW, VRS-Bedford
Never knowingly understood
--
G1EKW, VRS-Bedford

DRL

Post by DRL » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:13 pm

I live in the vicinity of the Hamilton Ontario Canadian Warplane Museum which features one of the worlds two still flying Lancaster bombers.

Warplanes

Fortunately the Lanc is equipped withs ads-b transmitter so I can see when it is airborne and with VRS I can follow the local flights which are usualy low and slow circuits, often the flight is directly over my station/home. Tracking allows me to prep with camera - tracking is extremely accurate. I locate in my backyard for most of the summer and can easily match flights in the sky with VRS tracking.

As a bonus, I hop a virtual ride on the Lanc by way of PP/Google earth cockpit view. This ride in real life costs a lot, but my virtual ride is free :-)

Nightsurfer

Post by Nightsurfer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:01 pm

DRL wrote: Fortunately the Lanc is equipped withs ads-b
Hi DRL,

As you will no doubt be aware, your Canadian Lancaster departs Hamilton August 4th on it's journey to the UK and is due to arrive RAF Coningsby on August 8th. Please can you confirm the aircraft's mode-s identifier is C07DD7? :D

Cheers,

Julian
--
G1EKW, VRS-Bedford

DRL

Post by DRL » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:48 pm

Nightsurfer wrote:
Hi DRL,

As you will no doubt be awa re, your Canadian Lancaster departs Hamilton August 4th on it's journey to the UK and is due to arrive RAF Coningsby on August 8th. Please can you confirm the aircraft's mode-s identifier is C07DD7? :D

Cheers,

Julian
Hi Julian

Yup, she is on her way over to blighty as you say to join the other one I think.

I am UK born and bred of a dad that was RAF and air show addicted so I was drug all over to the shows when I was a sprout :-) He worked for Gloucester Aircraft Company and I was a runway brat up close and loving the Javelin days.... ah, but I digress :-)

Anyway, if I can I will grab the info when and if it is taking a flip here locally and post it for you. I suppose I should have it noted but I didn't. I was plesantly surprised when VRS puts up a couple of nice photo's when it is the selected aircraft. NICE.

DRL

Post by DRL » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:28 pm

Nightsurfer wrote:
Hi DRL,

As you will no doubt be aware, your Canadian Lancaster departs Hamilton August 4th on it's journey to the UK and is due to arrive RAF Coningsby on August 8th. Please can you confirm the aircraft's mode-s identifier is C07DD7? :D

Cheers,

Julian
Hi Julian

She is up and about today....

The ID I see is C07DD7
Callsign CGVRA
Canada

Cheers,
Doug